La Linea to Malaga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djson280

Regular
Hi all

I am David new here.

I am looking to cycle from La Linea to Malaga.

I used to live in fuengirola and worked 40 mintues cycle south.

I used the N340 without any problems. It is a very busy road, so it can be a bit hairy at times.

I used an electric bike that would go at average 20km/h (12MPH)

From what I understand there is NO other flatish route anywhere?

I will have a trailer and dog with me.

The dog walks at my side always without any problems.

My only concern (well is it sane to use this road).

With the dog I can only go at walking speed. around 8km/h

For short journeys she can run, which is arond 20km/h but she can run for no more than about 40 mintues.

Your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Hi all

I am David new here.

I am looking to cycle from La Linea to Malaga.

I used to live in fuengirola and worked 40 mintues cycle south.

I used the N340 without any problems. It is a very busy road, so it can be a bit hairy at times.

I used an electric bike that would go at average 20km/h (12MPH)

From what I understand there is NO other flatish route anywhere?

I will have a trailer and dog with me.

The dog walks at my side always without any problems.

My only concern (well is it sane to use this road).

With the dog I can only go at walking speed. around 8km/h

For short journeys she can run, which is arond 20km/h but she can run for no more than about 40 mintues.

Your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
Hi, David and welcome

I've contemplated that route twice and rejected it both times. It just looks too busy and built up for my taste, no matter how much I love the sea.
Of course, a lot will depend on the time of the year. I'd imagine that outside of peak tourist season that it may be better, but my understanding is that it's a pretty long tourist season in that part of the world.

I'd recommend https://cycle.travel/map as an excellent planner for selecting quieter routes but even CT is struggling here. Perhaps, by playing around you might be able to find some not-too-hilly options a little inland without adding huge distances.

Personally, I'd think twice (and have done ^_^) about that route, especially with a furry friend. I have tremendous respect for Spanish drivers and find them to be very considerate by international standards - but that is a touristy area, not all the drivers will be Spanish. My worst experiences in Spain were on touristy, coastal roads.

If you could arrange it, the route west to Cadiz from Tarifa is relatively flat, a lot less built up and much more dog friendly.

I don't know what the situation with dogs on trains is but it may be possible to use a train to give some more options.

Best of luck to you and your furry friend.

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
Thanks for your thoughts. I need to go north, I am actually in Jerez .. there is an inland route, via Granada, but I think it will be too hilly, too steep.

Basically it is the N340. As there is nothing else.

I'll let you know how it works out.

@djson280
I wouldn't be going to Granada from Jerez to get to Malaga ^_^

But, if you are prepared to take such a long journey, there are more than just 1 inland route. Yes, there are mountains but the trade off is in quieter roads. And some very beautiful country. A push every now and then is not the end of the word for you or the dog.
This is just one (very quick) example that incorporates the Via Verde de la Sierra - a wonderful stretch for man and beast. A bit of work could improve it.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/488571

Of course, it goes nowhere near La Linea.

Top Bottom