La Marmotte 2018 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary mac

I’m doing La Marmotte in 5 weeks time and would be grateful for any advice on anything related to this sportive , thanks for any help in advance.

bianchi1

Guru
Never done the sportive but ridden the roads/mountains around there a fair bit.

Usual advice is watch the weather. Can be 25 degrees in the valley but cold at the tops and if you get rained on, the descents can be freezing. Take gloves, waterproof etc.

Eat loads. Gels are fine but get a bit sickly after a while, something savoury is good if you can carry it.

The descents are not to be messed with. People die on them trying to win a non existent race. I believe timings are neutralised on them in the marmotte to try and make them safer.

Other than that enjoy the scenery. Im over there that weekend but will be avoiding the masses.

I did it back in 2013. I think gearing would be my tip. I was quite good at hills at the time and 39/25 had got me up Scotlands Alp D'huez but I was quite glad I changed for a 34/29 for the real one :okay:

When I done it I think there was only one descent that was neutralised but that still didn't stop a nasty crash on it.

A light weight long sleeved windproof and mitts was good enough for me and also for the folk who had done it before. I don't think I'd want the extra bulk of a full boil in the bag waterproof and long fingered gloves. You'll know yourself how much heat you generate/ how you feel the cold :okay:

One thing that I can remember the multiple tunnels can be very dark when you speed into them with shades; I'm glad I had reactolites :okay:

Above it all though, enjoy :okay:

bianchi1

Guru
How did it go @gary mac

I'm out in Bourg at the moment and reports from riders braver than me said it was tough. One fellow reported loads of sick and wrecked riders on the final climb. It is a bit hot for 5000 m of climbing!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I take my hat off to anyone doing this sportive , i was over there a few weeks ago and did Huez and Col de La Croix de Fer on the same day and i was done, so to do them and the Galibier in one go is one hell of a ride.

Top Bottom