Lake District/Hadrians Wall Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phantz

Hi there - first time poster :smile:

My wife and I have eschewed a holiday in the sunny (alcohol drenched) beaches of Spain in favour of a cycle tour as set out by Hooked on Cycling.

The tour starts in Carlisle, moves to Keswick, over to Newcastle and back to Carlisle - takes around 7 days.

Has anyone done this route before or have any advice/highlights?

From the looks of it there'll be a few climbs which are a little daunting but our training is going pretty well and we've both done plenty of cycling in the past.

Love to hyear any experiences from that particular company too - hope we've made the right decision

ASC1951

Guru
Phantz said:
Hi there - first time poster :smile:

My wife and I have eschewed a holiday in the sunny (alcohol drenched) beaches of Spain in favour of a cycle tour as set out by Hooked on Cycling.
I'm sure you will enjoy it more, too.

A colleague has just come back from 10 days in La Manga, bragging that their two couples got through 186 litres of beer as well as occasional wine and half a dozen bottles of spirits. I'm far from teetotal, but that's not my idea of a holiday, ligged out on a lounger turning orange inside and outside.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ASC1951 said:
I'm sure you will enjoy it more, too.

A colleague has just come back from 10 days in La Manga, bragging that their two couples got through 186 litres of beer as well as occasional wine and half a dozen bottles of spirits. I'm far from teetotal, but that's not my idea of a holiday, ligged out on a lounger turning orange inside and outside.

It sounds a lot but when averaged out, amounts to about eight pints per day + eight shots per day - around half my consumption at last weekend's Solfest ;)

Back on the wagon until late October ;)

As for the cycling - it should be a good ride. The hills are not as severe as you probably are anticipating. I cycled from South Shields to Carlisle in three days and found the Sustrans route not particularly challenging on the hills front. I'd not worry too much about training. If you are moderately fit, you'll cope well. I don't know the details of the route but if it takes in some of the Roman sites along Hadrian's Wall you are in for a treat. I don't know anything about the company which, in itself, could be a good things as it could mean a lack of adverse comments.

Tony

Highlights of the Wall are Vindolanda Roman town and Housesteads fort. Try and take a walk out of Steel Rigg carpark, near Once Brewed. This takes you past Peel Crags to Crag Lough, spectacular views.
Hexham is also a lovely place to visit.

Which way out of Keswick?

zacklaws

Guru
I spent two months beginning of the year working just West of Carlisle almost on the wall itself and spent most weekends cycling along the wall and surrounding area, places to visit are numerous if you have an interest in Hadrians wall. As mentioned, Vindolanda and Housesteads are well worth a visit along with Chesters. The hills themselves are not steep and I found no problem climbing them and that was on a road bike with a lowest gear of 39 x 25. I do not think there is an actual cycle track that follows the wall, I did see one in one place but it seemed to just appear and then vanish.

The Western part of Hadrians wall is the most preserved, between Hexham up to Carlisle, and the area of Walltown crags (about 2 miles long) near Greenhead is worth a visit along with the Roman army museum, the walls are well preserved and is usually the area which is filmed the most, doubt if you can actually cycle along the wall in that area though, I did it on foot and it is very hilly. The old Roman road follows the wall from Hexham heading west and you are never that far from it. Near Gilsland there is a place call Birdoswald (another Roman fort to visit) where the road and wall are together for a short distance.

Sadly a lot of the wall has been plundered over the years to make new buildings etc so nothing remains apart from the ditches in a lot of places etc

A usefull guide is "Hadrians Wall" history & guide by Guy de la Bedoye

Having just seen the route for your tour, Hartside Ridge, is a long, high climb in the Pennines, but once again I managed it, but you may possibly climb it from the only direction I have not done to the two I have done so it may be easier.

AlanBG

My wife and daughter and I walked the 80 (Roman) miles of Hadrian's Wall in July, from Bowness-on-Solway on the Cumbrian coast to Wallsend on Tyneside, and it was a spectacular walk. We did often see Hadrian's Cycleway roadsigns, but they were usually a fair way from the Wall itself. Where the Wall survives it is some distance from the road. Where the road follows the route of the Wall it is usually, er, on top of it, because in the 18th century General Wade used the Wall as foundation for his military road, so the army could get east and west quickly to suppress any rebellions (by the Jacobites).

And nowhere can you actually cycle or walk on the ruins. It's a protected ancient monument (and a lot narrower than, say, the Great Wall of China -- only about 1.5 metres)

But that doesn't stop you diverting off the cycleway to see the forts and the remains of the Wall. Birdoswald, Housesteads, Chesters and Segedunum forts on the wall; Vindolanda and Corbridge off it. The amazing bridge remains at Willowford. And, if you have time, cross the Tyne on the Shields ferry to Arbeia fort at South Shields -- it's worth it.

A

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Worth going to Segedunum [usually spell that wrong!] in North Shields and Arbeia in South Shields if you have time.

All the best,
Chris

Edit: I'm too slow, as usual... but enjoy it!!]

I did the Hadrians wall last year starting at Ravenglass and carrying on up the coast to Carlisle. Then across to Newcastle.

Enjoy the experience and remember that it is touring not racing... take time to experience the small things along the way. I spent an hour watching a bird of prey near Haltwhistle, we just sat and watched each other - magic!

Lots of info here

Darryl

I also did Ravenglass to South Shields last October following the Sustrans route on a Brompton and only had to walk once. Lovely scenary and plenty of history and wildlife to take your mind off any steep bits

Top Bottom