Laparotomy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two weeks ago i had an emergency open Laparotomy for a lower bowel obstruction.It turned out for some reason that scar tissue had suddenly decided to wrap itself around part of my intestine and if left it could have actually burst the intestine.
I'm back home now and slowly getting better.
I'm walking around the house regularly and plan to up my walking when i can get outside but also being cautious as i don't want to overdo it and get a hernia.
As for cycling i have a holiday booked in late June coming back early July and then planned to get back on the bike.
My questions are:Has anyone had this or a similar abdomen operation and how long was it before you got back on the bike?
Also is four months to get back to cycling sensible or just being over cautious?
Cheers
TCS

SuffolkBlue

Most guidance seems to suggest 6 to 8 weeks before starting more energetic exercise. Usually 6 weeks before lifting anything "heavy".

I found this https://www.christie.nhs.uk/media/dtqc0ot5/979b-advice-following-abdominal-surgery-phy-oct-2019.pdf

I only had a key hole laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (gall bladder) last year and I left it a couple of months but I had been pretty unwell prior to surgery.

If you have the opportunity or are able to get a telephone appointment you could ask GP?

Top Bottom