Laptop PC freezing?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, I bought a recent-ish HP laptop for running diagnostics software etc.

My Daughter is now using it for school work as well.

Sometimes it will just randomly freeze and only option is a long press on power button to turn it off and restart. It is very random though!.

Can anyone recommend any software to run that will log the crashes so I can see what's going on?.

It's running Windows 10, I5 processor SSD hard drive and plenty of memory.

I suppose I could try stress testing it with a benchmark program of some sort?. Doesn't appear overly hot though when it does lock up?.

Cheers all.

classic33

Leg End Member
Event Viewer, already in place no help?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Might it be overheating due to a blocked fan? Youngsters often use laptops in bed - a dust-rich environment, to say the least. HPs, IME, are generally reasonably sensibly constructed, and with a bit of help from YouTube it's not that hard to clear out accumulated crap.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Might it be overheating due to a blocked fan? Youngsters often use laptops in bed - a dust-rich environment, to say the least. HPs, IME, are generally reasonably sensibly constructed, and with a bit of help from YouTube it's not that hard to clear out accumulated crap.

That's the odd thing though, the fan isn't going 10 to the dozen, laptop isn't hot and if you restart it I will be fine for hours after.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'd run system restore, see if there's any restore points before the problem occurred. If it wasn't turned on I doubt that there will be any points. If that doesn't work, with Windows 10 I think theres a feature called Reset This PC. One option will delete all apps and keep files, the other will wipe everything. Go into Settings and type the above features into the search field.

I always switch Windows Restore on, as I have a feeling in Windows 10, it defaults to off. You can also go to Task Manager, by pressing CTRL, ALT and Delete, click on the Performance tab. You can see in that feature if anything is causing the CPU or the RAM to max out, possibly causing it freeze.

Top Bottom