Lateral epicondylitis...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
...or Tennis Elbow to the uneducated - like me.

I've often scoffed at this before, thinking it would be no more than a mild irritant, but I've just been diagnosed with it in both elbows.

One is worse than the other, and was probably brought on by an impact I had while skiing in March.

I didn't think I'd broken my elbow, so figured it would heal on its own, but it got steadily worse to the point I was having difficulty gripping stuff.

Then, after I got a 'C' bag for my Brompton I got pain in both elbows. Thinking it was something to do with all the weight on the front of the bike, I've stopped using that.

But it seems it may be down to poor technique and locking my elbows while riding as well.

Just been prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets, but wondered if anyone else has suffered, and if so, what did you do? And how long did it take to fix?

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
I sympathise :hugs:
Had tennis elbow last year, tried to ignore it at first and it just got worse.
Got a support for tennis elbow from the chemist, which did help, also a few sessions with physiotherapist.
I was sceptical of the physio but the deep tissue massage hurt but did the trick.
Probably took about 6 weeks to get better but might have been sooner if I hadn't "soldiered on" :blush: in the first place.
Hope you're not suffering too long with it.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Well, my right arm has been getting steadily worse for about 6 months, and my left for about 6 weeks.

At least now I know what it is, I can start to do something about it...

12boy

Guru
I once decided to reduce my 450 sq ft garden's height by a foot so I rototilled it and hauled the dirt off to other parts of my yard. Obviously a lot of shoveling and I too incurred this vile malady. Therapy and no shoveling for a few months made it better and it no longer troubles me at all.The therapy involved using ultrasonics to drive a medication called Voltaren in through the skin into the irritated tendons and tissues along with blue light therapy. The therapist said that if you seriously tear a tendon or even sever it in these situations it may never be right again. Might be wise to take care of this before it gets worse. BTW I could still ride my bike carefully and in fact did so 10 miles or so to the therapy each way.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had it, left non dominant arm, after using a TE support, loads of physio, acupuncture, steroid, PRP...I ended up needing surgical repair about 18 months after symptom onset which fortunately sorted it out. Caused in part by riding a too big bike in my case. Apparently my tendon was barely attached and was never going to heal without the op (if in the unlikely scenario you need surgery, 90% plus don't, do not have the op in winter...I came to truly hate sleeves, the pain dressing was phenomenal!)

I had both tennis and golfers elbow in both arms. It can be very debilitating. At one point it was so bad I even avoided shaking hands. I found ice packs helped a little as did various stretching excercises. Anti inflammatory cream eased it too, better than taking them orally over a long period of time because of the side effects. Cycling didnt seem to exacerbate the condition, probably because my bikes have fairly high handlebars and I ride recumbents. I had 2 Cortisone injections over a period of 18 months which left me pain free for about 6 months. Too many of these are a bad idea and cause extra problems. Herbal cures turned out to be a waste of time and money beyond a placebo effect if you arent cynical. My GP didnt seem concerned and said it would probably clear up on its' own accord after about 2 years - which it did.

Last edited:
I sympathise :hugs:
Had tennis elbow last year, tried to ignore it at first and it just got worse.
Got a support for tennis elbow from the chemist, which did help, also a few sessions with physiotherapist.
I was sceptical of the physio but the deep tissue massage hurt but did the trick.
Probably took about 6 weeks to get better but might have been sooner if I hadn't "soldiered on" :blush: in the first place.
Hope you're not suffering too long with it.
+1 My experience (twice) and sentiments, exactly. GWS.

ETA: Oh, plus ice packs, 10 minute minimum, morning and night.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks all.

Got to say that the ice packs seem to helping already.

It was particularly painful yesterday, but is a lot easier today.

Have also ordered some tennis elbow straps.

They seem to get good reviews, so fingers crossed.

Mrs M

Guru
Thanks all.

Got to say that the ice packs seem to helping already.

It was particularly painful yesterday, but is a lot easier today.

Have also ordered some tennis elbow straps.

They seem to get good reviews, so fingers crossed.
Make sure you put the straps on properly :okay: and they should help.
Best wishes X.

Top Bottom