Latex Tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I've been doing a bit of reading related to handmade tyres (I'm looking at getting Veloflex tyres for TTing next year) but can't seem to figure out if it's worth getting latex tubes for them - some commentators say 'yes' whilst others say 'no'...

Anyone got an opinion based on experience?

Ta

raindog

er.....
Someone lent me a couple to try because I'd heard they were more comfortable, but I really couldn't feel any difference. They lose air really fast too, so I got fed up and gave them back. And to top it all they cost more.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
they are much lighter than butyl, resist deformation less so give a fractional advantage all other things being equal but tend leak like sieves and require pumping before every ride.

You get a slightly sharper sound when riding with latex tubes which gives you a bit of confidence.

Personally the pumping up was too much of a bind for daily use although if you have tt specific wheels then this won't be a problem.

I used Michelin Aircomp latex 700 x 22-23 which are a bit bigger than a similar butyl tube and slightly more tricky to put on without getting a pinch flat.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I'm not sure they're worth the extra effort. Keeping them well clear of the rear block when fitting, having to blow them up before a race even when I pumped them to pressure last thing at night when packing my kit, so fragile that the one in my emergency spares kit often ended up with a moderately fast puncture just from being folded up in there with everything else (stopped carrying a latex spare, in the end).

I also found that they just don't last. Because you need to pump them up all the time and they're more fragile, they tend to go at the valve and I was finding that eventually they just wouldn't hold air at all, even when not punctured.

Sam

02GF74

Über Member
loose air as said, plus if you need to fix a puctoure, then i found the regular rubber solution does not want to stick.

Top Bottom