Lawrence Cycles tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kuta

Hi all, I've just acquired a nice 531 touring bike made by Lawrence Cycles. Address on the bike label is 70 Norwood High Street, West Norwood in Greater London. Judging by the equipment it's a 1990's bike. I assume it's a generic and branded by the shop, but I'd like to know a bit more about the bike and builder. I'm intrigued as all my Google searching comes up with nothing concerning this shop. The premises was turned into flats before 1995 according to one website. Anybody have any info? Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like an interesting bike. Are there any marks or numbers on it? Be great if you could post a pic.

OP
OP
Kuta

Kuta

Found Frame Nº 8073; could be a 1980, definitely not a 1973.

Attachments

• Lawrence 11.jpg
    Lawrence 11.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Lawrence 12.jpg
    Lawrence 12.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 14

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's very nice
Where is the frame number stamped ?
If on bottom bracket does it go around or across the shell ?
Woodrup amongst others use a 4 digit number so you could send them a picture showing frame number and location and close ups of the rear drop outs etc etc and see what happens ?
You could try Mercian as well but they lost a big chunk of there records a while back .

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’d say that’s a rebadged Galaxy, but then would Dawes be interested in providing just a few frames to small shop and have they done this before? So probably not.

BTW @Kuta you haven’t closed the QR on the front wheel :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kuta

Kuta

Thanks for all the comments folks. I phoned Mercian. With that frame Nº they don't think it's one of theirs (they have more digits); said it wasn't worth the £20 to search their scant records as all they might be able to offer is "one of a batch of bike made for...". It doesn't really match my Mercian though; the 'cube' on the brake bridge is similar, but the flats at the top of the seat stays are longer and the cable guides are located differently.

Cycleops, I think you are correct; the fittings are remarkably similar to a Dawes Galaxy, perhaps just a repaint job? and wrt the QR, yes, the bike is now dismantled for cleaning.

Top Bottom