Learning how to build a wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
As above, I'd like to learn this skill & I've got some wheels which need the hubs to replaced & thus the whole wheel needs relacing. The last time I tried this I got the wheel nice n' true & by tone I thought the spokes where at the right tension but when I went on a 10 mile ride 7 spokes broke :wacko:. Any advice on where to start?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Always use decent (DT or Sapim) spokes. Which end did the spokes break? And which side? I presume it was a back wheel.

GrasB said:
As above, I'd like to learn this skill & I've got some wheels which need the hubs to replaced & thus the whole wheel needs relacing. The last time I tried this I got the wheel nice n' true & by tone I thought the spokes where at the right tension but when I went on a 10 mile ride 7 spokes broke :rolleyes:. Any advice on where to start?

The Bike Inn near Spalding has a variety of courses.

http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/default.asp

I did a course in March (two week C&G) and it was very useful.

porkypete said:
About the best £9 I ever spent on bike kit.

I've absolutely hammered some of the home built wheels I've built with the help of this book. Havn't broken a spoke yet, and they've stayed very true.

That´s not a porky, is it, Pete? :laugh:

No, once you´ve got your head around the basics, and have had a few goes, it isn´t difficult to build and true a wheel and for it to stay true. Honest! :rolleyes:

Joe

Über Member
porkypete said:
http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

About the best £9 I ever spent on bike kit.

I've absolutely hammered some of the home built wheels I've built with the help of this book. Havn't broken a spoke yet, and they've stayed very true.
+1
I'm not particularly mechanically inclined but had no trouble building wheels using this. I found it a lot easier to follow than Sheldons.
I build my first wheels and then took them on a fully loaded LEJOG with no trouble atall:biggrin:

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Thanks for the tips guys & that book seems to be far clearer than Sheldon's guide. I also think I'll be purchasing a proper spoke tensioning tool.

Dayvo, That looks interesting & not far enough away to rule out a 2 weeks course commuting from home :biggrin:

GrasB said:
Dayvo, That looks interesting & not far enough away to rule out a 2 weeks course commuting from home :biggrin:

Gras! If you´ve got the time and money, I thoroughly recommend the course! It´s fun, tons to learn and the sense of achievement in knowing that you can fix more or less any problem you encounter is worth a great deal. And Alf Webb is a top bloke.

Top Bottom