Leaving a bike at Waterloo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonsch

Will be uglifying it a bit (and it has been kept outdoors so not great cosmetically currently anyway)

To be honest I don't think you need to go far with the uglifying. I know of people with some pretty ugly bikes that got nicked from near my work. Unless your bike is actually blingy, I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference - its mostly opportunistic, its more important not to be the least well locked bike in the rack.

TrishE

Über Member
I leave my bike at a station, not in London though, as I get the train there pick up the bike and cycle to work then reverse. A few times I've unlocked and pulled mine from the rack and brought out the bike next to it too so left unlocked, and I've also got home and remembered my front light only to go back two days later and find it still there. There's a camera pointing at it and the platform closes overnight.

I locked a bike at York station recently for a couple of days and worried about ever finding it again as there was so many bikes there! It was fine and there's a cycle tools thing there too.

snorri

Legendary Member
To be honest I don't think you need to go far with the uglifying. I know of people with some pretty ugly bikes that got nicked from near my work. Unless your bike is actually blingy, I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference - its mostly opportunistic, its more important not to be the least well locked bike in the rack.
My knowledge of bike costs and values is limited, but I'm reminded of the day I was doing a survey of cycle facilities with an official of a transport organisation, someone I had not met before. Eventually the chat got onto the bikes we were using that day. I suggested her bike was a much more expensive model than mine but hers appeared to have been uglified. "Errr, yes" she replied a little sheepishly^_^.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Well so far so good. two days done and all good. The mesh basket strapped on the rack makes it look a bit crap but is far preferable to a pannier as I can dump a biggish rucksack in it with the locks

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I can't comment on locking up, I can't bring myself to leave any of my bikes out of my sight in London...but I carry a spare tube a co2 inflators and a few levers at all times. As I commute with a rucksack for work stuff, I also chuck in a few other tools and bits that I hope to never need.

Top Bottom