LeEdinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raybo

Guru
I am an American with English in-laws and will be in southern England in May, 2010. I would like to do some bike touring while there. Time is not a serious issue, other than it will have to start in mid-May.

I haven't been to Cornwall and would like to start at or near Land's End. I don't have a need to go all the way to JOG and was wondering what other options would make sense?

I have family living in Beaconsfield (near Heathrow) so will likely start and end there. I have ridden east from Beaconsfield and would prefer to take a train to Cornwall. I'm assuming it is possible to take a loaded touring bike on a train from, say, High Wycombe to Lands End. Where would I find out this information (other than here)?

Option (1) would be to go all the way to JOG. I am wondering how hard it is to get from JOG back down to Beaconsfield by train?

Option (2) I am considering is riding up to Edinburgh on one side of the UK and then back down to Beaconsfield on the other side of the UK. This option would include trying to get over to see some of the Lochs (say Loch Lomond). This is the one I'm most interested in.

Option (3) would be to ride up to Edinburgh and then take a ferry over to Zeebrugge, ride around that area for a while, take a ferry back to England and ride from that port to Beaconsfield.

I would not camp but will be self-contained in all other ways.

I'd be interested in any and all thoughts about these 3 options.

Thanks, in advance,

Ray

snorri

Legendary Member
Lots of questions there raybo, and there could be lots of different answers, but here is a starter.:thumbsup:

Cornwall and Devon is generally regarded as the most physically demanding section of the LE JoG route due to the hilly terrain. (Just a friendly warning)

The nearest rail station to Lands End is Penzance, you can get UK rail timetables etc. here....http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

(1)Getting back from JoG
Train from Wick or Thurso to Inverness, then a direct rail service to London, day or sleeper service. Flying is another possibility, or bus.

(2)Loch Lomond..roads fairly busy around there, I think there are more attractive areas to tour, but conveniently close toEdinburgh and Glasgow.

(3) The ferry sails from Rosyth, across the Forth Bridge from Edinburgh.http://www.norfolkline.com/EN/Ferry_routes/Rosyth_Zeebrugge/

You would get a better response to questions if you post queries in the Touring Section of this site as Heathrow is well away from any LE Jog route.:sad:

wyno70

Travelling by train is fine in that you can get your bike on but you have to be quite careful about ensuring that your bike IS booked on the train, as they normally only have spaces for 4 bikes. In most places this isn't too much of a problem BUT getting back from Inverness could be a problem if you aren't booked.

I once turned up speculatively at Inverness on a Thursday and was told there were no bike spaces available until Tuesday (this was in late May). I managed to get on a train after a nice chat with a nice guard, otherwise I'd have been stuffed.

As long as you make sure that your bike is booked, then you shouldn't have a problem.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Beaconsfield has its own station. Trains from there to London Marylebone are pretty regular - every half hour or so.

It's run by Chiltern Railways, who have a pretty enlightened bike policy - bikes go free, with no booking necessary, on any train outside the main rush hours. So if you aim to leave Buckinghamshire mid-morning you'll be fine.

Marylebone is a simple 5 minutes ride to Paddington, for the South West, and an equally simple (but rather busier) 15 minutes to Kings Cross for Edinburgh and points north.

From JoG, my recommendation (if time is no issue) is to take the ferry up to Orkney, spend a few days on the islands, then get the ferry back to Aberdeen, from where transport to civilisation is much easier.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
srw said:
From JoG, my recommendation (if time is no issue) is to take the ferry up to Orkney, spend a few days on the islands, then get the ferry back to Aberdeen, from where transport to leaving civilisation is much easier.

Corrected that for you... :biggrin:

irc

raybo said:
Option (2) I am considering is riding up to Edinburgh on one side of the UK and then back down to Beaconsfield on the other side of the UK. This option would include trying to get over to see some of the Lochs (say Loch Lomond). This is the one I'm most interested in.

Actually I think Loch Lomond is over rated. It's spoiled by traffic noise and volume on the west side. The east side is worth a visit but there is better scenery further north.

If you have plenty time to do it I'd suggest going via the Isle of Arran, then to Oban, then via the Western Isles and back to the mainland via the Stornaway - Ullapool ferry. Superb scenery and quiet roads.

Whatever you do if you are looking to get back from Scotland to London it's worth looking at booking a place on the Caledonian Sleeper. Only £19-£49 booked in advance. That compares favourably with normal daytime fares.

Having a sleeper booked from Inverness to London could be used to get home and you would have options as to where your tour finished as Inverness is within a days ride of most of the far northwest.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

Another option if you ended up in the northwest is to finish a tour anywhere from Ullapool to Cape Wrath and get back to Inverness by bus.

http://www.timdearmancoaches.co.uk/

Top Bottom