Leeds trolley buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ASC1951 said:
It was rather depressing how many of the Board had their attics converted to trainsets.
Do you mean that literally, or metaphorically? :becool:

I see what you mean: I don't recall ever seeing a kid's toy in the form of a trolleybus, but toy trains (and tramways) abounded - I think when I was a lad every boy's bedroom (except mine :wacko:) was kitted out with the old Hornby-dublo...

Mind you, I did have a Meccano set, and among the models in the book was a working double-decker bus which I lost no time in assembling. I soon converted it to a trolleybus by adding a couple of metal rods, but I never figured out how to power it from overhead wires...

StuartG

slower but further
The major disadvantage of electric bikes is the heavy batteries on hills. Now if we simply attached a big pole to the rear rack - then the future could be trolleybikes!!!!

And the saddest thread on CC :wacko:

mangaman

I wouldn't fancy cycling here ( pic from 661-Pete's link of what a Leeds trolleybus would look like)

ASC1951

Guru
661-Pete said:
Do you mean that literally, or metaphorically?
I kid you not. It was a few years before my time, but they still talked about the Head Honcho of one PTE who had the whole attic boarded out and lit (these guys were on serious money, so we aren't talking 3 bed semi) and trains whizzing about all over the place.

So far, so normal, but he also had a rack of stationmaster's jackets and hats in obsolete liveries for his guests to wear. The tale was that on this occasion they spent so long talking about grimple-rivets or whatever that they had to stay up past midnight to get all 50 locos back on timetable.

mangaman said:
I wouldn't fancy cycling here ( pic from 661-Pete's link of what a Leeds trolleybus would look like)
The point of this thread.

But I don't really agree. Having had several 'brushes' with the London bendy-buses (so derided by Boris, but which are only singly articulated), I agree, they are scary at first encounter, and certainly not a vehicle to be filtered past - but you get used to their presence.

I certainly felt unease at the prospect of doubly-articulated buses. But we had a link posted on the [post=1153216]other thread[/post], showing these type of buses (diesel powered) operating in Holland apparently without problems. In a country where safety of cyclists is certainly at the forefront, albeit mostly by the means of segregated tracks.

I think it's largely down to the skill and consideration of the drivers. To drive a trolley vehicle they're going to need special training anyway - over and above the standard PSV training. And to drive an articulated bus - likewise. As long as they have it firmly drummed into them - overtaking a cyclist on a left bend is not on - and so long as they know how long their vehicle is so that they give an overtaken vehicle plenty of space - I think it ought to work out fine. At the same time, surely cyclists must be made to realise that filtering inside one of these vehicles is utterly and emphatically a no-no. Warning signs on the back of the bus maybe.

I know for one thing, if I had to wait behind one of these buses in a traffic queue because it was unsafe to filter past it - I'd sooner it was an electric vehicle than a diesel one. :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
661-Pete said:
The point of this thread.

But I don't really agree. Having had several 'brushes' with the London bendy-buses (so derided by Boris, but which are only singly articulated), I agree, they are scary at first encounter, and certainly not a vehicle to be filtered past - but you get used to their presence.

Why are you comparing them with London bendy buses? It's out of order comparing something for London where you know very well Londoners have an almost completely opposite view to the rest of the UK and then applying it to somewhere else when there's a local version. We already know Leeds and York have the bus 'versions' of these bendy buses the FTR, it's why they want to introduce them. The FTRs are intimidating because they are on unsuitable roads and driven with extreme aggression.

All right, you have the advantage of me there, I was not aware that there was more of a problem with these "FTR"s than with the London version. So maybe we do have a problem. The Dutch examples seem to be driven impeccably.

Incidentally I am in no way a "Londoner". I cited the London example because my nearest big city (Brighton) does not use these artics AFAIK, and because I have some experience of cycling across London. But I'm not a London commuter...:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ah so Brighton is sensible :biggrin:. I don't have a problem with trolleybuses I have an uncle who is a real enthusiast about them down your way, but this just sniffs to me as a carbon copy of the FTR. It's just silly gimmick stuff from First again - impractical vehicle, extortionate bus fayres, all the spin about how efficient it is. Maybe they'll learn, but I doubt it somehow. A lot of that silliness would never happen in London because there is regulation.

Not everyone disliked the FTR, I think two people on here thought they were all right but they didn't interact with them often enough to make their lives a misery on the bike. They did only cover very small bits of the city.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
mangaman said:
That must be difficult to drive. You have to keep the back under the wires.

The Evil Rock DJ

You have to see this
0376_25.jpg

This is an underground section of the Essen O-bahn where bendy hybrid buses (known as duo-buses) ran along a track on modified tram lines, underground. They ran into the guideway on diesel, the engines went off then the trolley poles went up and they ran along the tram lines (which were metre gauge too).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH6Sc3fUfLM

Unfortunately it was built with federal money and when it wore out ther money wasn't available. The trolley buses still run and a lot of the system is still there (including bus-track in the tunnels) but the buses stay above ground now.

Just goes to show what a bit of joined up thinking will do

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
trolley buses in Vancouver had fantastic accelleration - pensioners did indeed hurtle to the back of the bus. And I always enjoyed that end of the line ceremony when the pantograph (?) was hauled down and switched over to another track.

Vancouver's trolley buses didn't cause me any kind of grief, either as a cyclist or a pedestrian.

In defence of trams - Croydon's move people at a fantastic rate. And Croydon really has done the deed when it comes to town centre transport - cars are shoved out of the way by trams and buses, and movement within the town centre is swift. I do pray as I go over the tramlines at anything other than a right angle, but I'm afraid that we have to get this in some sort of proportion.

The Evil Rock DJ

661-Pete said:
my nearest big city (Brighton) does not use these artics AFAIK

...yet!

Brighton and Hove have four which are being converted (ie middle doors ripped out and plated over and wheelchair ramps moved to the front). they'll only be used at peak times. Two have gone for painting.

How do people find the Manchester metro? Whenever I visit Manchester the thing freaks me out a little, as I keep accidently walking onto the track unawares. I wouldn't like to be walking around there with a pair of headphones on.

postman

Legendary Member
I will be surprised if it ever gets done .

Whoever gets in power ,they will cut and slash .

And if it's going through to Stourton /Hunslet .

Most of it will get pinched anyway .For scrap .He he he .

Top Bottom