Left hook, motorcyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

dont think primary had anything to do with it... that was just stupid driving.

you just expect motorcyclists to be a bit better...
Having just watched the video, the idiot was riding a Ducati Monster, I'd expect nothing else from one of them. :biggrin:

Mad at urage

I think this follow-up is needs to be read in conjunction with the earlier comment that primary is the default position.

For my commute, about 8 of the 10-miles are 60mph country roads with room for two cars to pass when I ride in secondary. I haven't had more than a handful of close passes and cars are delayed by no more than a few seconds. If I was to ride in primary, though, the fairly constant stream of vehicles in the opposite direction would mean that any cars behind me would be stuck there for a couple of miles.

If you just say that the default is primary without this proviso, I think that could be misunderstood.

As for left-hooking motorbikes, I had the opposite on Monday evening. I was on the motorbike stationary at some lights, the only vehicle in the queue and indicating left. I'd passed a cyclist a few hundred yards before the lights so I was looking out for him, which was fortunate as he was in my blind spot just as the lights changed. If I hadn't been looking for him and just moved off into the left turn, as many do, the buffoon cyclist and I would have both been chewing tarmac. :rolleyes:

Default is primary when there are hazards that require you to control overtakers (such as junctions) - IMO. Default is not primary along the 50mph two-lanes-each-way road on my commute (except where there are hazards, such as potholes ... :thumbsup: )

Cops on bikes will most likely be traffic cops, who will have tip top knowledge on how the road works and what people should and shouldn't do.

Traffic cop could have been checking out something else, perhaps doing an over-the-shoulder look, or watching some naughtiness across the road. They don't have 360 degree vision installed when they are manufactured, :biggrin: unfortunately!

dont think primary had anything to do with it... that was just stupid driving.

you just expect motorcyclists to be a bit better...

It was stupid driving by the motorcyclist. Telling the OP that taking primary can help is not blaming him, it is simply a fact that moving out far enough to be in their way does discourage that sort of stupidity. Primary has a great deal to do with it :rolleyes: .

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, the default is always primary, unless there are reason(s) to be in secondary. That could be dropping left to allow faster traffic past, for example, or on a wide busy road you'd stay in secondary for a stream of traffic. Ride that same road at another time with no traffic behind, and you'd use primary until another vehicle came up when you'd drop back to secondary to make their pass easy and safe.

BenM

Veteran
No, the default is always primary
I think this may be a 'bent thing, cos on the Orca I nearly always ride in primary and ignore the traffic - having said that if it suits me (rather than them) I will drift to secondary to let a queue past. On a DF I am much more likely to ride in secondary - out of habit I guess.

B.