Leisure Cyclists' Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclestudylse

Hey everyone! It's so nice to hear such a range of different things that motivate people to cycle. I've always been really interested in cycling and how policy makers can motivate other people to cycle. For that reason I've decided to use my undergraduate dissertation at university as an opportunity to explore the topic more formally. The group of cyclists I'm really interested in are those who really enjoy cycling for leisure but don't use their bike to commute everyday. If you think that you might fit this category (so you never cycle to commute or just a few days a week/ weeks of the year), please could you do me the honour of completing this survey for me? It can take 10-15 minutes to complete, which you don't have to do in one sitting. It would be great if people at my university, the London School of Economics, could hear your thoughts on the topic through the survey... who knows what changes could one day take place because of your help! All data is anonymised, here is a link to it if you would like to complete it: https://lse.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3aqEbqFogd33WIZ
Thank you in advance if you do choose to fill it in!

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
SORTED

Slioch

Guru
I started doing the survey, but then when I realised the survey was almost completely London-centric, I stopped doing it about 30% of the way through.
You need to either a) make clear that this survey is for London dwellers only, or b) re-phrase the questions to open it up to the rest of the human race who are fortunate enough not to live anywhere near London. :laugh:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
^ this just happened to me too as I didn't read the comment before I started.
If you were looking for tweaks- I doubt many people know how far away their destination is 'as the crow flies' as no one travels that way, also the question on 'pro-cycling' I assumed that was pro as opposed to negative rather than professional? I stopped after this point when it then started asking about London infrastructure.

snorri

Legendary Member
******** students honestly :sad::sad:, have these people bypassed the local primary and secondary education system?.
The timing and content would suggest this thread originated in a London pub.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I did it. Trouble I found (as well as the whole London thing) was; I went in to it with the leisure cyclist title in my mind and it very quickly moved into a commuting based thing. The regular ride I tried to do is my 25 mile short loop. I could ask but I'm pretty sure the council won't be wanting to give me a rebate for it!

To me, a leisure ride is one done for fun or perhaps to get rid of a bit of lard.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I can't fill out this questionnaire accurately because I do not drive. I also would not accept any amount to cycle more, as I already cycle whenever I need to go anywhere as well as for leisure. I cannot answer "The following are some of the measures that may affect car use. Which one would be the most effective at decreasing your car use" because the option "None of these" will pollute your results - there is no "I do not drive."

Some of the questions are worded in ways that are nonsensical, such as...wait, I cannot go back in the survey, so I can't give you feedback on the two answers I couldn't even understand. I do like filling these out to help research but failed this time.

G3CWI

Veteran
Got bored after the fourth page and don't live in London. Survey needs more of a focus. Seems to be fishing for data rather than having a clearly designed aim.

Top Bottom