LEJOG 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beyondbrighton

Hi Folks,

This is a great forum and people seem really friendly and helpful.
I'm looking for riding partners to form a small group to do this.
I was on a road trip in Cornwall last summer and met so many happy people with some amazing experiences doing the LEJOG that I;ve been inspired to do this.
Unfortunately none of my friends are to keen on the 900+ miles involved.
I;m looking to take about 2 and 1/2 weeks off work (16 to 18 days) to dedicate for this trip.
I;m flexible in pushing myself to complete this quickly or at a more leisurely pace depending on the other group members. I think my dates are flexible as long as i give my boss about a months notice.

If anyone has a similar plan, then please let me know and we could either join up or just share information on the trip.

Hope everyone is having a good start to 2014 and wishing all the cyclist much luck for their coming trips.

spen666

Legendary Member
I did it as a solo ride and had a great time. I am planning another LEJoG for 2016 and am hoping to do that solo as well.

Doing it solo gives you complete control of speed, when to stop, how far to go etc. Lots of good info on the cycle touring club forum in their LEJoG section

oiljam

Active...ish Member
I'm doing it starting 29 April, first days riding on 30 April. Group of us, about 8 people with great bear tours. I know there are a few places left on this trip. Good price too, includes accommodation, food and transport. We're doing it in 10 days. Can't wait

OP
OP
B

beyondbrighton

I'm doing it starting 29 April, first days riding on 30 April. Group of us, about 8 people with great bear tours. I know there are a few places left on this trip. Good price too, includes accommodation, food and transport. We're doing it in 10 days. Can't wait

Thanks for the heads up. that tour looks good as you said and the price is reasonable. I need to purchase some new kit (especially swapping the mtb for a hybrid). very tempted!!!

OP
OP
B

beyondbrighton

I did it as a solo ride and had a great time. I am planning another LEJoG for 2016 and am hoping to do that solo as well.

Doing it solo gives you complete control of speed, when to stop, how far to go etc. Lots of good info on the cycle touring club forum in their LEJoG section

I;m glad you had a great time. I'm not a hugely experienced cyclist so the moral support of a fellow rider would definitely be a big movitvation to push myself harder when times get real tough. i hope if i do get to complete this really tough challenge that it will give me the confidence to do other long distance rides solo.

spen666

Legendary Member
I;m glad you had a great time. I'm not a hugely experienced cyclist so the moral support of a fellow rider would definitely be a big movitvation to push myself harder when times get real tough. i hope if i do get to complete this really tough challenge that it will give me the confidence to do other long distance rides solo.
I wasn't either. I had never done a cycle tour before & I had never ridden more than 70 miles in a day before setting off.

By doing it alone, I was able to stop when I wanted to, to go at my pace and that was far better than trying to go at someone elses pace. I am sure that if I had ridden with others, I would have felt I was holding them back and given up.

You don't need anyone else to nag you, tell you to go faster, tell you to carry on when you want a rest etc.

Cycling in a group can be good fun, but it also has negatives.

Don't be put off doing a solo ride. You will meet more people and see more riding solo

Whichever you choose, you will have a great time. Just go for it.

OP
OP
B

beyondbrighton

I wasn't either. I had never done a cycle tour before & I had never ridden more than 70 miles in a day before setting off.

By doing it alone, I was able to stop when I wanted to, to go at my pace and that was far better than trying to go at someone elses pace. I am sure that if I had ridden with others, I would have felt I was holding them back and given up.

You don't need anyone else to nag you, tell you to go faster, tell you to carry on when you want a rest etc.

Cycling in a group can be good fun, but it also has negatives.

Don't be put off doing a solo ride. You will meet more people and see more riding solo

Whichever you choose, you will have a great time. Just go for it.

thanks spen666. Your points are very good. actually, I travel a lot by myself so I guess the flexibility is a very good factor in doing it alone.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Personally, sharing the experience with friends made mine much more memorable. We still talk about it almost every time we ride.

Also, i'd recommend keeping a blog. Things will start to blur a little and a blog is the perfect was to revisit your experience, heres mine if it helps you to prepare or reference.
http://lejog-johng.blogspot.co.uk/

Top Bottom