LEJOG 2024 - solo vs tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@JonBuoy you have to be brave to trust yourself to Andy's @Burnley CC renowned charm; oh and be ready to crack 300km a day.
Last year's (roughly): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44996814
NB not this year's route which is (draft): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43518622
Recovery option: Three different ferry routes To Orkney, but the Kirkwall to Aberdeen ferry only runs every other day. More cycle places on the Aberdeen-Edinburgh line and less demand (cf Inverness).

It is fair to say that there were a few logistical 'challenges' when I did the 2022 version of the event but nothing that spoilt it for myself or my riding partner. The thing is that Andy makes these events happen.
A month later I was volunteering at a control on LEL when Andy arrived and was planning to sleep. There was a temptation to hide all the towels and arrange a leaky airbed for him but I resisted 😇

300k in Cornwall that's going to hurt!!

Yup. First day when I did the event in 2022 was about 4500m of climbing. The 9am start made for a very late finish. At one point around midnight and still with a long way to go to my bed I was wondering whether I had bitten off a bit more than I could chew.

To go back to basics.....
They cover 1020 miles in 14 days (plus one rest day) which seems like a good pace for me as a relatively new rider and making sure I get to enjoy the riding each day rather than rushing.
I make that to be 73 miles a day. Are you used to riding that distance several days in a row? Such an effort obviously requires physical stamina but it can also involve mental strength, experience of different weather conditions and, possibly most important, comfort on the bike. Any niggle is going to be a lot worse over 14 days.

If you are then it's a matter of taking onboard the wisdom the others have generously shared and deciding which format is the best for you.

If not, then perhaps consider alternatives or building up your distance and experience.

Ajax Bay

Guru
around midnight and still with a long way to go to my bed I was wondering whether I had bitten off a bit more than I could Chew.
iswydt (an hour into Day 2)
And the towels are a perennial 'attraction': memories of trying to revive the ones in Sedburgh community hall/changing rooms for riders on Mille Pennines.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Yup. First day when I did the event in 2022 was about 4500m of climbing. The 9am start made for a very late finish. At one point around midnight and still with a long way to go to my bed I was wondering whether I had bitten off a bit more than I could chew.

Where is the first nights rest stop? Wiveliscombe 160m?

Solocle

Über Member
300k in Cornwall that's going to hurt!!

I tried it when I did LEJOG. Dead at Sourton Down after 160k, after a few hours I dragged myself to Exeter for 200k. Although the headwind didn't help :laugh:
dTBHyOOvoYmMwXfBxN6L_RWQiwhknrcbRzWFGW9E-2048x1536.jpg

mikeIow

Guru
Blimey…..I’m glad I did mine at a steady average of 55miles per day…..that sounds like hell!!

Solocle

Über Member
I was dead by the time I got to oakhampton!!

That guess house was bliss!

2nd day I got the bonk by wsm.

3rd day I was flying and did Chepstow to Chester!

Same point then, and I was quite ready to book into the Travellodge - but they were full. Bank holiday weekend.

Ended up doing the remaining 100 km from Exeter to home the next day, Bank Holiday Monday. And since I was still dead, I avoided the A30's extra climbing around Chard and Crewkerne... :laugh:
5H8AOu5u8wT0KYkD95Q8-PGhq-CdHRuJRUC_co0k-1536x2048.jpg

5-Mx2nLqhQl5xMgw-YWPmIprPnNhoJaOc_Svwxgw-1536x2048.jpg

capture7.jpg

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have said before @Solocle that you are bonkers. I hope you continue to post here as then at least we can assume that your luck has continued (or that you've increased your self-made luck by not cycling on the A303 - maybe the wee hours are less risky).
The 40km (edge Exeter to Yeovil hospital) may be an extra 200+m of climb (590m v 350m) but the traffic levels on the A30 are a magnitude less which makes the ride not just less risky but also more enjoyable.
Heed the sage advice of @Cathryn

Solocle

Über Member
I have said before @Solocle that you are bonkers. I hope you continue to post here as then at least we can assume that your luck has continued (or that you've increased your self-made luck by not cycling on the A303 - maybe the wee hours are less risky).
The 40km (edge Exeter to Yeovil hospital) may be an extra 200+m of climb (590m v 350m) but the traffic levels on the A30 are a magnitude less which makes the ride not just less risky but also more enjoyable.
Heed the sage advice of @Cathryn
I think another factor in my decision making that day was that I've had some bad experiences on that section of the A30, including being buzzed by a motorbike doing nearer 100 mph.

Ironically I've since had exactly the same issue avoiding the other end of the A303 by using the A33 from Michaeldever.

Actually most of that section of the A303 was more civilised than I expected!

Top Bottom