lejog april 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rungilly

I am planning on doing the lejog in April 2012 but want to visist relatives in derby and haworth
does anyone have an idea of the best route from lands end
also what and where is best way to start the route
I have a number of ideas but am happy to listen to advice
the aim is to raise as much money for motor neurone disease as I can
woudl youth hostelling be best

Tony

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Tony, Firstly well done in considering this epic event! Secondly, there is no 'best route' so to speak! It is considered easier going LeJoG rather than JoGLe due to the wind but that is not a given as we found out in Scotland this year. Visiting relatives should not be a problem just look at the roads on the map and blend it in. With respect to accommodation we stayed in mainly Travelodges(pre-booked) but some of the guys on this forum stayed in B&B's, YH's or even Camped so its up to you, but I will say that doing LeJoG/JoGLe will be one of the best things that you will ever do in your whole life so good luck. Tony

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I am planning on doing the lejog in April 2012 but want to visist relatives in derby and haworth
does anyone have an idea of the best route from lands end
also what and where is best way to start the route
I have a number of ideas but am happy to listen to advice
the aim is to raise as much money for motor neurone disease as I can
woudl youth hostelling be best

Tony

Hi Tony

There isn't really a single 'best' route - people tend to choose their own route depending on their circumstances, what they want to see, how much time they have and so on. The CTC have a LeJOG "pack" which, if you join, you can download. This lists 3 suggested routes, a fast and furious one for if you want to get from one end to the other in the shortest possible time, taking mainly main roads; a "youth hostel" one, which ends each day at a youth hostel, or a B&B where there are now gaps in the YH network; and a third one perhaps originally intended for those carrying camping kit.

All three have their pros and cons. Youth hostels are great, but there aren't as many as there used to be, and you'll have to keep checking ahead to see that the next is open and not booked up with a school party (all too often these days, they are). Easier than it used to be now that everyone has mobile phones. If you use B&Bs, you will again want to check that there's one that's got vacancies in the town you're heading for - and you will have to begin and end each day in a town (not always convenient).

Camping is my preferred option - it gives you more flexibility than anything else, since (with discretion) you can camp wild, there are lots of campsites, and just because you're carrying a tent doesn't mean you can't use a B&B or youth hostel if you choose to. The gear will slow you down, though, and you have to own it and the kit to carry it with in the first place.

Most people find the logistics of getting themselves and their bikes to Lands End and back from John O'Groats quite a challenge, given how the railways now work (or don't work). Look into this, because you don't want to get stranded, and it may cost more than you think.

My advice would be to get the CTC pack, then spend a few evenings with a road atlas, choosing your route. (Working in Derby and Haworth in shouldn't be difficult, although to get to Haworth, you'll have to go up into the Pennines - be prepared to sweat!) You can then take the relevant pages with you for on-route navigation.

If you haven't done any cycle-touring before, consider spending a few days or weekends getting in some experience before you embark on a big tour. It's better to make your mistakes when it doesn't matter, and you can easily get home, than when it does and you can't!

Top Bottom