LEJOG - some help with bits of my route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I will be doing LEJOG in early October, taking advantage of the recent Travelodge offer for overnight stops in England on a fairly direct route and making the Scottish section a bit more scenic and roundabout. I have most of it planned to my satisfaction, but three sections are uncertain and expert advice welcome.
First: I am planning to ride from Lymm Services near Warrington to Carlisle in one day. My route to Preston will be largely on the A49, then A6 to near Kendal. If the weather is good and I feel up for it, I will take the Kirskstone pass, otherwise Shap. Can anyone suggest improvements - I have booked the Travelodges, so start and end are fixed.
Second: I plan a short day from Lanark to the southern end of Loch Lomond - so I can spend a morning looking around Lanark where I was born but never been back to since early childhood. My plan is to take the A72 and a couple of other roads into the centre of Glasgow and then take the track along the Clyde that then carries on to Balloch. The A72 looks like one of those old main roads superceded by a motorway that can make for good cycling - is that right? Is the cycle track tarmacked and easy to follow throughout?
The last day is the hardest to choose. I can see three routes from Altnaharra to John O'Groats. If the weather is grim or I have had enough I will take the shortest, but if not, I quite fancy the unclassified road to Hope and then along the north coast. Alternatives would be the A836 to Tongue or the B873 past Loch Naver, both then joining the same road. Recommendations sought!

Thank you!

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I've alway's regarded the Strathnaver valley as one of the highlights of my E2E
hth

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i rode through Warrington, preston and carlisle mainly on a49 and wasn't that bad untill you actually hit the towns then i didn't like the traffic but out of town it was ok . I took the a6 up shap and theres a sign saying that the weather can be ' adverse ' up there - believe me it can , it went from summer , skipped autumn and straight into mid winter . it was so cold . just to warn you but not much traffic and brilliant scenery . i have put all the gp files on here before ( on bigtam s page somewhere - not very computer minded ) if they would help

Top Bottom