LEJOG with Defy 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iainthegreat

Hi,

First of all apologies if there is a similar thread

I'm doing LEJOG later this month on a Giant Defy 4 (pic here: http://donegan.ie/images/Defy_4.jpg)

My question is this: How much weight can this bike support for a cycle this long?

At the moment I have rear pannier racks, but I have been told it's not a great idea to load the bike up very heavily at all as, because it is a road bike, the wheels cannot support the weight.

Would getting something for the front be a good idea, might help distribute the weight a bit more evenly?

Obviously I don't fancy my wheels buckling horrendously around Carlisle (no offence intended to anyone from Carlisle!).

I am yet to decide whether to go youth hostel route or camping. I need to know how much weight the bike can support to see which is the best option.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be great!

OP
OP
I

iainthegreat

anyone?

Hi,

First of all apologies if there is a similar thread

I'm doing LEJOG later this month on a Giant Defy 4 (pic here: http://donegan.ie/images/Defy_4.jpg)

My question is this: How much weight can this bike support for a cycle this long?

At the moment I have rear pannier racks, but I have been told it's not a great idea to load the bike up very heavily at all as, because it is a road bike, the wheels cannot support the weight.

Would getting something for the front be a good idea, might help distribute the weight a bit more evenly?

Obviously I don't fancy my wheels buckling horrendously around Carlisle (no offence intended to anyone from Carlisle!).

I am yet to decide whether to go youth hostel route or camping. I need to know how much weight the bike can support to see which is the best option.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be great!

Well if you are thinking of camping, you will be needing to carry something in the order of 15 to 25 Kilo's depending what equipment you are using.
if BB or YH, then you could get away with very little, which would fit in a saddle bag, avoid Backpacks as they can get un comfy. and lift your CG.
I dont know your wieght, but most bikes are happly carry 18 stone, again that depends on wheels and tyres fitted.
I toured some years ago using a road bike, from Cairo to Khatoom, and that included many miles across the nubi desert, on normal road wheels, but I was BB.ing then.
So unless yout total body wieght and equiqment is no more than 20 odd stone you should be ok. I guess someone who knows the bike will give you advice soon.

Top Bottom