LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
No solid plans for this but aiming on doing this sometime relatively soon.
Approached college friends about this, got the inevitable "sure, sounds brilliant!" however a few months on and when i mention it to them it is a "yer...we will get round to it"

Don't want to go with a tour package/holiday type deal because of the price, I'm sure I can find somebody to do it with me, but it is mainly getting it planned, routes, accommodation etc that is the issue.

Can anybody offer any advice i.e. north to south? or south to north? Any pointers to useful websites are also appreciated :wacko:

Also, I do enjoy reading personal experiences and antics, so post away ^^

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Go to the LEJOG specific forum at the CTC web site.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22

It's a great ride. I've done it both ways. I wouldn't get too upset by your mates' reluctance. Both of my somns expressed an interest until it came to getting out of bed for some training rides to get some miles into their legs.

There's no need for excessive training. I got by with regular short rides, a couple of cycle camping weekends to get used to the camping routines and some longer rides of 60 - 80 km.

There's a lot of mystique surrounding LEJOG. It's manageable by most mortals of moderate fitness. Unrealistically fast schedules and self doubt are the factors that defeat the riders.

I did my rides in 17 and 15 days. I cycle camped all the way and weighed in at around 24 and 23 stones.

Martinojones

Vernon, Cycle camping all the way, was this using regular camping sites or Stealth camping as well. I would like to go down this route. However I was wondering if you found any difficulties with people allowing you to camp?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Martinojones said:
Vernon, Cycle camping all the way, was this using regular camping sites or Stealth camping as well. I would like to go down this route. However I was wondering if you found any difficulties with people allowing you to camp?

I did some stealth camping as an uninvited guest in England, Scotland and on a totally different tour, in France. Usually I looked for a suitable field with no clear sight lines to inhabited buildings and with a high hedge or dry stone wall to hide me from the road.

There have been two occasions where I have been invited to camp in the garden of a pub and the private paddock of someone sitting in the bar of another pub who overheard me asking about the location of a nearby camp site.

I had to abort one attempt at stealth camping in Scotland when a bull in an adjacent field made its displeasure at having a neighbour known to me by bellowing continuously and pawing the ground. I beat a careful retreat.

Top Bottom