LEL fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm considering doing LEL on my fixed. Primarily because I like riding fixed but there are also some advantages for me. I'd plan to take longer but otherwise can't think of any other major changes.

Does anyone think it's completely barking?

Greenbank

Über Member
Yes and No. I'm doing it on fixed. Plenty of people have done it on fixed in the past. It's not that tricky a fixed ride. But it is barking. ;)

I did a fixed SR in 2008 including rides like the Dean (3900m climbing in 300km in the worst weather for 20 years of the event!) and the Severn Across 400 (similar to the Dean but not much more climbing). My 600 was a DIY ride Putney -> Cambridge -> Putney -> Royal Tunbridge Wells -> Bethersden -> Flattest Possible 300 (which isn't completely flat).

This year I'm doing, amongst others, a fixed Dean, Elenith (hello Mr Devil's Staircase), and Bryan Chapman Memorial 600.

The tricky bit of LEL will be the section from Canonbie to Dalkeith via Eskdalemuir. There's a fair amount of climbing on that section. Nothing amazingly steep but just long and constant.

My plan is to blast out to Coxwold (400km-ish) on day 1 (8am start). Day 2 is a punishing day over Yad Moss, Alston, Brampton, Longtown, Canonbie, Eskdalemuir, Innerleithen and up to Dalkeith. At that point I'll have lots of time in hand and I can have a gentle 200km day 3 back over the hills. Then another blast along the flatlands for 300km with a gentle final day.

In reality I'm going to ride until I'm tired and then rest until I'm feeling better, or I'm on the edge of the time limit, then start riding again. This is the best plan to have anyway.

Do it. You know you want to.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Cheers Greenbank, I read on yacf that you were doing it fixed. The climbing actually doesn't sound like too much of an issue in honesty, I get lots of practice at that around here! I am slower on fixed than geared, not by much but it adds up. I guess what I ought do is do a 300 on the fixed and see how I go. I'd have to review my lighting options but, again, no hassle really.

I've been reading the threads on yacf but all the talk of prep and plans is just a bit much for me. I reckon I'll just get on my bike and ride!

Greenbank

Über Member
yello said:
I've been reading the threads on yacf but all the talk of prep and plans is just a bit much for me. I reckon I'll just get on my bike and ride!

Exactly. I have a list of rides I'm doing this year, but that's so I can plan the weekends away and not get booked up with other things by Mrs G.

If you've got a flip-flop hub then I'd consider having a longer gear for the Southern section. I've done the first 300km and there's not much in the way of hills apart from a few short snaps leaving Cheshunt and in/out of Lincoln.

I usually ride 67" (46x18 on 25mm tyres) but I think I'll be taking the 17T sprocket for a 71" gear for the blast along the flatlands.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Good thinking. I have flip-flop hub, giving me 63" or 70" options, bit I ride the 63" around here. I'll have a look at the LEL profiles, perhaps I can ride a bigger gear than 70" on the flat sections?? I'll have a play and think about it.

Fixedwheelnut

I rode LEL fixed in 2005 46 x 18 67.5" gear
As Greenbank says the Scottish Moorfoot hills around Innerleithen are long drags and I alternated between seated and out of the saddle climbing to ease my back.
Those hills are slightly steeper coming South compared to going North but still rideable, the only one that had me walking was the cobbled hill out of Alston towards Yad Moss, I ended up trackstanding outside the pub halfway up, I could see where it levelled out but couldn't get there :biggrin:
Go for it you will love it.

My ride report and photo's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedwheelnut/sets/72157602469146725/comments/

Greenbank

Über Member
(Sorry for the link to a different forum, but I'm not copying the whole of my ride report here.)

Recently back from a 3 day recce ride of the LEL route on fixed (with a few minor changes to make it DIYable).

Day 1: 330km from Putney to Thorne
Day 2: 220km from Thorne to Alston (via Yad Moss)
Day 3: 205km from Alston to Dalkeith (via Innerleithen) and then on to North Berwick (to make it at least 200km).

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14829.60

Top Bottom