Lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My Oakley lenses have got gunk of some kind on them. I soaked them in washing up liquid last night but that didn't make any difference. I'm considering sticking them in a dish of motorbike engine degreaser but I'm a bit worried that might damage the plastic.

Any tips for cleaning lenses?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Try wiping with white spirit on a soft clean rag. I'm fairly certain white spirit is safe with all plastics (no doubt an 'expert' will be along soon to deride my suggestion!)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Window cleaner might be the best if they have any sort of coating on them - though the washing up liquid might have done for any coatings already. :sad:

I was certainly told only to use window cleaner on my glasses, which have a non-reflective coating on them, as washing up liquid, degreaser etc could damage/remove the coating.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I clean all my glasses/sunglasses with instanet spectacle wipes from the chemist but it sounds like you've got a worse problem.
Yeah I've left mine a while before trying to clean the stuff off them. I don't think they have a coating on them but I'll try some of the ideas tonight.

If I can't do it, will buy some cheap DHB jobbies. Oakley want £72 for a set of lenses!

lulubel

Über Member
I give mine a daily clean with baby wipes (we spend a fortune on the damn things) to get rid of the sweat and dead insects from the previous day's ride, but I'm not sure even baby wipes will be up to that job!

sidevalve

Über Member
If nothing else works and the alternative is the bin, try alcohol [pure - or as near as you can get]. Try asking at the local chemist [best explain what it's for]. may eat the plastic but it's worth a go as a last try.

Top Bottom