Less than two weeks to go...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...until the biggest ride of my life - a three day coast to coast.
The most I've done before is the 60 mile great north bike ride.
That was last week and I found it really quite tiring.
So what should I do between now and next Thursday?
Should I just rest or go out two or three times a week for an hour's stretch my legs?
Or should I get out in the hills Wednesday coming and try some hard ascents (I do find hills difficult).

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
you'll be fine, don't worry about the C2C and just take it as it comes, make a few easy going outing leading upto the event and add in a number of rest days (Body recovery time). set a candice (leg pace) you feel comfortable doing and stick too it and try to match that when doing the C2C.

If you're not used to doing many hills, then I think doing too many of them before the C2C could render you feeling weak and tired during your C2C ride (body might not recover in time) .. there's no shame in walking up hills you don't have the strength to cycle up

the GNBR I understand had mostly strong head winds for most of the way and that will zap anyones energy very quickly, as its a battle to keep any momentum to a set pace, so if you take off the extra 1/3 effort you put into the GNBR (due to head winds) you'll find that in reality, it was rather easy.

Best of luck on the C2C :thumbsup:

david k

Hi
...until the biggest ride of my life - a three day coast to coast.
The most I've done before is the 60 mile great north bike ride.
That was last week and I found it really quite tiring.
So what should I do between now and next Thursday?
Should I just rest or go out two or three times a week for an hour's stretch my legs?
Or should I get out in the hills Wednesday coming and try some hard ascents (I do find hills difficult).

good luck mate

id just tick over and take on a lot of carbs

avsd

Guru
+1 for the previous event.

I did a hilly 200k in June and the best advice I got was from a senior cyclst "he had never met a hill he could not walk up":biggrin:

Enjoy your event and take it gentle at the start it is very easy to get carried away. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
RichardWHardwick

RichardWHardwick

Thank you people. I'm excited but a bit worried that the weather will not be good.
My bike is having a service so I will do a couple of hours on Wednesday I think, at a nice steady pace. And just get lots of rest.
The GNBR did have a strong head or side wind all the way so I suppose it was good training.
The two fellers I'n doing the C2C with are fitter than I am (not hugely) and prone to going a canny bit faster than I am.
My thought is that you should go along at a comfortable pace for the slowest rider :thumbsup:

Top Bottom