Let's talk about feet....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manguish

Ok folks, quick intro.

Used to ride DF, had spinal surgery, can't ride anymore. Bought an ICE Sprint - happy days.

Story over.

Now - riding last night, did around 19 miles, toes got really numb, thought nothing of it, wiggled them around, kind of went away.

Got home and experienced THE WORST pain ever in my feet once i'd unclipped. Couldn't walk due to it. It was the soft tissue down the outside of your foot which was giving me the grief.

Almost like cramp, but without the locked muscles.

Any clues as to what this may be?

macp

Guru
Will try have a word with swmbo she works in NHS podiatry dept

macp

Guru
Wife has responded with "possible nerve pinch somewhere maybe due to positioning so check that, could also be neoropathy which is possibly nerve damage from the surgery. Monitor and get it checked if it continues".

Hope this is of some help

OP
OP
Manguish

Manguish

Cheers Mac.

I hope it's not - the surgery was to correct my nerves being crushed in my spinal cord :sad: They removed a load of bits of vertebra and discs, so fingers crossed its not.

Appreciate you asking ;)

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Are you clipped in? I've noticed that comfort is greatly improved by moving the cleats as far back (towards the heel) as possible, whereas on the road bike I had them near the front. Maybe the increased power from pushing through the seat (though you don't really notice the added push as your so damn comfortable) has punished your feet more than you thought? 19 miles is a long first ride if you've not ridden a bent before, it's a completely different style of riding and takes a couple of hundred miles to get to strength.

OP
OP
Manguish

Manguish

I am clipped, using SPD - as you say, as far back as possible on cleat.

Normally on DF i'd use SPD-SL but can;t see it making a difference.

It wasn;t my first ride on bent - but i most certainly was the sorest :/

starhawk

I think it is a combination of the shoe being locked to the pedal and the pinching shoes, I never liked my SPD so I changed to platform pedals (Terra Trike Strapped Heel Support Pedals) then you can move the shoes a bit and you can use any shoe you like.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It could just be the angle your cleats are set at. Put your feet on the pedals with normal shoes on and note what angle your feet are set at naturally - then replicate with your cleat position.
It could be that your boom is set too long and your feet are stretching too far.
If shoes are new - are they too narrow for your feet?

The first thing i would try would be to adjust the float height of the SPD's so that the foot is loosely clipped in and has some movement. A rigid firm fitting though ideal for racing is not so good for comfort - and any foot/ankle misalignments would be antagonised.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manguish

Manguish

Thanks for the advice guys - will try some of the suggestions re: clips and see what happens.

byegad

Legendary Member
SPDs did the same to me after a longish tide. I found the cleat took all of the effort with little oing to the platform of the pedal. I changed to crank brothers Mallets and had no further trouble. I then tried CB Candys and they are smaller, but just as good at spreading the effort across a wider area. Now one of my trikes has Candy and the other Mallet.

Top Bottom