Letter of Invite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I need to write a letter of invite for a friend from Thailand who wants to visit me on March. What do I need to put in the letter? Has it to be written in a certain way?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks. :angry:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd advise him to bring warm clothing…

Maz

Guru
cookiemonster said:
I need to write a letter of invite for a friend from Thailand who wants to visit me on March. What do I need to put in the letter? Has it to be written in a certain way?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks. :angry:
If he's your friend, I don't think the style of writing is too important, right?

What to put in it? Your contact details, hopefully!

Thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter...:angry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Address it to The Visa Officer at the British or Finnish Embassy or Consulate in his or her city. Something like this will do:

Dear Sir or Madam, I wish to invite X to visit the United Kingdom/Finland for a short holiday in 2009. I confirm that to the best of my knowledge X has every intention of returning to Thailand after the visit and that during his/her visit X will be fully self-supporting financially and has no intention of seeking employment.

I would be grateful if you would give favourable consideration to X's application for a visa and I remain, yours faithfully, etc.

Make sure the letter is well presented on quality paper, signed in blue ink and gives your contact telephone numbers. Send the original by courier to the Visa section and give your friend a copy.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I had to do this for my in-laws who wanted to immigrate.

I wrote something like:

(Headed paper with name, address and phone number on it). Date.

Dear in-law

I am writing to confirm my invitation to you to stay with me indefinitely on your arrival in the UK in Septober (or whenever it was). You and Mrs In-law are of course welcome to live in our household until you are able to set up on your own, and we will provide financial support until you are earning.

Some more platitudes

Yours Uncle Phil

In my case, he needed to show the UK immigration people that he had a "sponsor", so that he wouldn't be dependent on welfare when he arrived.

In your case, the Thai authorities probably want to see evidence that your friend genuinely is making a visit to a mate and not planning to leave for good or become a burden on the UK (or Finnish) authorities. Style isn't important, but state the facts clearly for the benefit of beaurocrats who may not have first-class English.

Globalti

Legendary Member
....and tell your friend to go for the interview equipped with bank statements, bills and just about anything that will prove that she or he is fully employed in Thailand and committed to returning. Above all tell your friend to be open and honest and not to embellish anything because the interviewers are experienced and can smell a rat several kms away. So many of our business visitors have failed their interviews for the same reason.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart

Top Bottom