Lights - Legal requirement??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If we followed the lighting regulations to the letter how many modern lights would meet the BS 6102/3 standard? One disadvantage of fitting a centre-mounted rear light means it occupies the space where a reflector would be fitted. In the case of a rack being fitted the reflector may not be visible and its possible mounting point taken by a light. Surely a little common sense would make any red reflective material an acceptable substitute where lights are fitted?

Even more complex I am afraid the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations have been updated and it is possible to have "legal lights" that comply to RVLR, But not BS!

Cateye for instance in their small print claim RVLR compliance.

What many of us do is hedge our bets.

I have RVLR compliant lights on my bikes and these are then "backed up" by a 720 Lumen fornt light and twin Dinotte lights a the rear.

You can't actually see the RVLR lights for the backup system, but they are there and legalise my setup

On a separate subject - don't rely on the sunset / sunrise times as a clear cutoff. There is also a requirement for lights in situations of "decreased visibility" this may be open to interpretation.

Top Bottom