Lightweight Touring on a singlespeed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mightyquin

Cycle tour where? how long for? - I'm thinking of a cycle tour 'holiday' with my single speed and seeking inspiration.

Dervla Murphy rode from Dublin to Dehli on a one speed. And she's a girl, well she isn't but she was at the time.

What is your single speed set up? A single screw-on freewheel or one sprocket with a bunch of spacers on a cassette? Does your frame have a mech hanger?

It's just that it's quite easy to make a 'two speed manual' from a bike with a cassette and hanger. You have to get off it to shift but it might make the bike a bit easier to ride over long distances for very little outlay.

mightyquin

LOL. Mines a single speed Paddy Wagon. I can fit a fixed sproket on the other side to give an easier ratio, not a bad idea. Or cycle round Holland for a week!

Dervla Murphy rode from Dublin to Dehli on a one speed. And she's a girl, well she isn't but she was at the time.

What is your single speed set up? A single screw-on freewheel or one sprocket with a bunch of spacers on a cassette? Does your frame have a mech hanger?

It's just that it's quite easy to make a 'two speed manual' from a bike with a cassette and hanger. You have to get off it to shift but it might make the bike a bit easier to ride over long distances for very little outlay.

Danny

Legendary Member
Depending when and where you are cycling I would consider bringing a fleece or long sleeve top with you.

willem

Über Member
There are a number of solo tents around the 1 kg mark (various Terra Nova Lasers, Vaude Power Lizard, Helsport Ringstind Ultralight, Easton Kilo etc). A sleep system can be had for even a bit less than a kg: Thermarest Neoair or Exped UL Basic mattress, PHD Design Minim bag. If you intend to camp in colder weather, add a couple of hundred grams (for a Thermarest Neoair All season or Exped Synmat Basic mattress and a warmer bag) and you will be covered for that too. A cartridge gas stove comes in under 100 grams, and a pot a pan and a grip will weigh about 200 grams together (Trangia UL 27 parts, available separately). Remember, however, that with stoves the fuel is the heavy item.
This is about the lightest sensible gear. You must realize, however, that even an extra 500 grams will give you rather a lot of extra comfort. Finally, this is fragile and expensive stuff. If you are prepared for slightly heavier stuff, you can save money. Examples would be the Wild Country Zephyros tent, the various Exped Basic mattresses (not even heavier), and an Alpkit Pipedream bag .
Willem

There are a number of solo tents around the 1 kg mark (various Terra Nova Lasers, Vaude Power Lizard, Helsport Ringstind Ultralight, Easton Kilo etc)...If you are prepared for slightly heavier stuff, you can save money

I quite agree. You can go mad cutting grammes of weight but seriously adding cost. Nothing wrong with that if that's your thing but a little extra weight can give a great deal more space and comfort. Take tents for example. I use a Vango Helium 200. It comes in at 1.3 kg and is very nice for a single user and OK for a snug couple. I could have spent more, a lot more for a Hilliberg Akto or Terra Nova Laser. I could have gone for the smaller Helium 100 or the 200 superlite from Vango but the difference in weight/quality was not worth the extra cost for me. It's all about compromise and what is going to work for you and the cycling/camping you intend.

Take all the tips you are given but make your own mind up at the end of the day. You will find what works for you. The best advice is: Do it, refine and repeat.

Good luck

Top Bottom