Lightweight waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

Where can I find this sort of thing from online retailers? Everything seems to be full winter waterproof/windproof affairs.

I'm after something lightwight that folds up small, similar to the thing I currently have that can best be described as a plastic LS jersey with vented sides/sleeves (but it's falling apart).

adscrim

Veteran
I've heard good things about the altura pocket rocket - I'm hoping my hints will result in one for Christmas!

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

How waterproof is that Montane jacket? I don't know what 'Pertex Microlight fabric' but it looks nice and is a tenner cheaper than the Altura. Which would be ideal.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well it is definitely showerproof, have yet to test in a full deluge.
Can honestly say it's very well made though Colin.

gavintc

Guru
The very lightweight one is not waterproof, but acts as a windproof to stop you getting too cold. My wife has the lightweight one and is good as an emergency one. I have the slightly heavier weight one, still pocket size but made of a goretex type fabric and it is excellent, but does make me wet from sweat if work hard. I use it on my commute. It cost me around £70 a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Thanks, I think the Pocket Rocket looks more what I'm after - a shell rather than a fully fledged jacket. Anyone have sizing experience with Altura gear? I'm 37" chest which puts me at the top end of S, do these measurements usually take into account wearing a jersey and base layer or would it be best to go M?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it's arallsopp who recently got a packable jacket from the Endura Cyclechat kit order and said it held up very well on a FNRttC. I've ordered one too, but am still waiting for the caps to arrived before I get my stuff.

I'm assuming you can get the Endura one without it being part of a special order....

I am Spartacus

Über Member
colinr said:
Thanks, I think the Pocket Rocket looks more what I'm after - a shell rather than a fully fledged jacket. Anyone have sizing experience with Altura gear? I'm 37" chest which puts me at the top end of S, do these measurements usually take into account wearing a jersey and base layer or would it be best to go M?

I was treated to the Altura Attack Extreme jacket and went for XL
I am 6 2 and find it with plenty of room for layers under or just one.
It is MTB 'cut' so again plenty of room to stuff loads of things inside jacket which is one of criteria I need, but also can tighten up not to look out of place on road bike.
I tend to go on height and arm length for jackets.. chest size seems a silly way of sizing imo, but thats what manufacturers do ... only rarely do they specify arm length which is vital when on a bike.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I find the chest is usually the tightest part on me. For example, my CC jersey is an M and it's snug on the chest, length is spot on but arms are a couple of inches longer than I'd like.

ChrisKH

Guru
adscrim said:
I've heard good things about the altura pocket rocket - I'm hoping my hints will result in one for Christmas!

+1

I have one. Nice piece of kit and not incredibly expensive. But not really a 'winter' jacket on its own.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

It's for my 3.5 mile commute, not for anything heavy duty. But as I've discovered, 3.5 miles is plenty far enough to get a drenching.

How do you find the fit - what you'd expect from the measurements or generous / tight?

Top Bottom