Limit screws not marked on front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Just having a rant, why oh why don’t they mark them ? I know that the vast majority it’s the screw nearest the respective chain ring ie low nearest small ring high nearest big ring, but some are the other way around ! Being a bit anal, I have chain rub on the derailleur cage when in my lowest two gears, I think I’m going to live with it as they are the least used two gears (apart from when I will visit the Alps later this year) rather than tinker with limit screws as everything else is running sweet. I’m curious as how fussy others are with a wee bit of chain rub ? 😂

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I don't like chain rub, and will do the utmost to eliminate it. I have been known to tinker with front mechs for days and days, even out on rides to get rid of it. Tiny adjustments are the way to go.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Handy hint. I replaced all the pozi (or more likely JIS) adjustment screws with stainless
cap screws (aka allen screws) as they are easier to adjust and the heads don't get munged, the original screws being made of that special metallic looking cheese. The threads were normal metric so easy to match (from memory, M4 maybe ?)

Last edited:
Just having a rant, why oh why don’t they mark them ? I know that the vast majority it’s the screw nearest the respective chain ring ie low nearest small ring high nearest big ring, but some are the other way around ! Being a bit anal, I have chain rub on the derailleur cage when in my lowest two gears, I think I’m going to live with it as they are the least used two gears (apart from when I will visit the Alps later this year) rather than tinker with limit screws as everything else is running sweet. I’m curious as how fussy others are with a wee bit of chain rub ? 😂

Often there's a very, very tiny 'H' and 'L' on the black plastic, this is nearly impossible to see without a torch.

the original screws being made of that special metallic looking cheese.

Indeed they are...

I like my non-indexed front mech on my tourer because it means I can always trim it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Fairly fussy here but... sometimes in certain front/rear combinations it can be unavoidable.

My FD is Shimano 105 5800 which has 2 trim positions ie a total of 4 positions and seems to be pretty effective at negating chain rub.

Nonetheless, the inside left (from normal seated position) of the cage has a rubber insert to minimise noise and the Shimano doc's indicate that small front + 3 smallest rear & large front + 2 largest rear may result in chain rub - especially on bikes with short chainstays.

If it really bothered me then I would have a bike with a single chainring.

Reactions: C R
I have a rather wobbly chain guard around my chainrings, it can move and rub sometimes which does annoy me.

I'd like to remove it, or at least secure it better so it doesn't move if knocked.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Fairly fussy here but... sometimes in certain front/rear combinations it can be unavoidable.

My FD is Shimano 105 5800 which has 2 trim positions ie a total of 4 positions and seems to be pretty effective at negating chain rub.

Nonetheless, the inside left (from normal seated position) of the cage has a rubber insert to minimise noise and the Shimano doc's indicate that small front + 3 smallest rear & large front + 2 largest rear may result in chain rub - especially on bikes with short chainstays.

If it really bothered me then I would have a bike with a single chainring.

Interesting, I wonder if I’ve subconsciously not been using the trim feature effectively, I have an Ultegra front mech can’t remember the exact model off the top of my head. I mean I’ve only had the bike for 10 years 🤷‍♂️😂

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interesting, I wonder if I’ve subconsciously not been using the trim feature effectively, I have an Ultegra front mech can’t remember the exact model off the top of my head. I mean I’ve only had the bike for 10 years 🤷‍♂️😂

AFAIK 4 positions on the FD started with 5800, 6800 etc.

Prior to that there were 3.

Top Bottom