Lincoln overnighter September '23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Quick write up that I initially wasn't going to do but sat with the day off work thought why not!
Nothing too exciting, only an overnighter but if it helps give people information or inspiration that can't be a bad thing.

No big back story or plans, just a last minute 'meh why not' trip from our hometown in Hull to just south of Lincoln at Hartsholme Park campsite. With the thought of using our camping gear for something a bit different, a £10.50 a night site and mostly self sufficient eating made for a very cheap, memorable weekend away.

Day 1 - Hull to Lincoln 60 miles

As always our plans for an early (ish) set off didn't happen and 8am meet became 10am outside the mildly appropriate Evans Cycles in Hull. Bike had had an overhaul the week before and felt good despite the added weight. On the scales my gear added up to 10kg which didn't seem too bad but on the bike, wow! Definitely an exercise in taking it slow and steady and enjoying the ride. I'm sure that's nothing compared to some of you guys on here, @HobbesOnTour I'm looking at you here 😉 but it's the most I've ever rode with and was thankful for the flattish Lincolnshire terrain.

Ready for off!
20230923_095243.jpg

Quickly out on the flat routes of Hull across to the marina avoiding the traffic, weather was decent despite the reports of rain and ability to ride side by side made for some nice riding and a catch up on our way out of the city.

20230923_101711.jpg

Always love riding over the bridge and today was no exception with the thrill of an adventure in our heads.

20230923_105743.jpg

Quickly through Barton and out into the country around 17 miles in we weren't really ready for a stop but Deepdale garden centre cafe is a firm favourite and hey, it's a tour not a race so why not!

Im sure the only reason I ride is to eat cake......

20230923_114445.jpg

The route I planned was on Cycle Travel and assumed it would be all road but it took us up a farm track so managed some off roading which is always fun

20230923_130728.jpg

No major climbs which was appreciated and think the 'Zwifting' has paid off as I still felt good at 40 miles in as we came into Middle Rasen for a quick comfort stop where the pub suggested we at least buy a drink if we used the loos. Fair enough imo and was glad of a cold lemonade and a little rest to check in with the girlfriend and obviously update my Facebook story to feed my ego 😄.

Lovely backroads all the way into Lincoln.

20230923_125926.jpg

Slow going to get here at times but that was the point, slow down and enjoy the scenery kinda ride with no rush to be anywhere so after a quick stop at Asda for food and beer we were into Lincoln just before sunset, dodging the social saturday crowd all dressed up for a night out to slum it on a campsite in our joggers and tents.

Lincolnshire waterfront.

20230923_184147.jpg

Unmanned site when we arrived but pitch location left at the wardens office so after setting up and a shower got some food on the go. My mate with noodles in his jetboil only looked slightly envious as he ribbed me about my Trangia chicken tikka, obviously it's an ancient relic that's not as good as modern day gas offerings.

20230923_195251.jpg

(Don't judge me on the coffee, they needed using and I'm looking at aeropresses 😄).

We were the only (fools) in tents in September but lots of caravans and motorhomes, all friendly enough with some very sociable pooches made for a lovely relaxing evening and asleep for a reasonable 11pm. Initially chilly but after 20 minutes or so soon warmed up and even ended up too hot in the night, I think the smaller tent helps keep heat in or the cold out a bit more than a big family tent perhaps? Either way was thankful and soon drifted off.

Cosy..

20230923_214058.jpg

Ending the day on 60 miles

IMG_20230925_152732_e.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Day 2 - Lincoln to Hull 61 miles.

Woke late! No alarms set and planned to get up with the sunrise but we must've both needed the sleep as it was knocking on 9am when we decided to get up and move.
In the haste hadn't planned a route back but decided the way we came was a bit boring and wanted to spend some time in Lincoln so a quick Garmin route was uploaded while breakfast cooked.

No Trangia ribbing this morning and my mate was more than thankful for sausage sarnies while the jetboil provided the coffee.

Lincolnshire sausages because they are the best and when in Rome...

20230924_094036.jpg

Quick pic of the tent for any interest, Alpkit Soloist and would definitely recommend. Second trip I've used it on and it's a great little tent that is very light and packs up small for the money. Not pictured is a lightweight chair I also bought this year from Amazon which was a great addition to the setup especially as I'm getting older and creakier.

20230924_101923.jpg

Packed up and off around 11am legs felt good, chamois cream was a good investment as the rear was a little sore and off into Lincoln for an explore. I love Lincoln, it's one of my favourite places to visit with my better half and the first time my riding buddy had been. He's also now sold and is planning to take his wife for a weekend next month.

20230924_110616.jpg

Followed the Garmin around the one way systems which probably added some unnecessary miles but ignored its beeps as we came to Steep Hill, hard to walk and definitely hard to ride but we did it while dodging all the oblivious pedestrians and stopped at the top for a chat with some 'proper' tourers with very loaded bikes in the middle of a weeks tour. Wandered around the Cathedral and Castle grounds a short while then out of the city back into the beautiful countryside.

20230924_112549.jpg

Crunched the miles out all the way up to Owmby by Spittal for quick jetboil coffee and to give us a rest, legs were feeling it and my mates bad back had started giving him jip. 20 minutes later and off again with lovely riding up to Broughton where we stopped at the Co-Op for food. I stupidly bought an 80p bag of Walkers fresh air but the sausage roll did the job. After this we were taken down a road claiming a dead end but figured it must just be for cars. When we hit the end at Broughton Bridge it was obvious as to why. A weak bridge that looked like it was held together by scaffold poles, duct tape and tie wraps but absolutely lovely. Quick chat with some guys fishing next to a 'No fishing' sign 😁 and over the rickety bridge onto 5 miles of track.

20230924_153442.jpg

20230924_153800.jpg

Slow going down here as legs felt empty and lots of barriers, presumably to stop motorcycles but still nice to be off the roads.
That being said it was a very quiet Sunday with little traffic and was a lovely ride all the way home.
At the end of this trail it became off road and despite the Garmins incessant beeps we had to divert as it was completey overgrown in places. The next pic doesn't do justice to how edgy it was, very wet and boggy with parts of the 'rut' being close to the waters edge. My mates rear tyre slipped sideways at one point and the weight of his panniers tipped him over, clipped in towards the water. Saved himself but definitely nerve racking.
20230924_160901.jpg

Knowing now we weren't far from the bridge we plodded on, one decent climb left to do which we both managed proudly and back into Hull on roads we were familiar with in decent time.

Empty roads became a theme.

20230924_123022.jpg

Bridge and home turf in sight!

20230924_170827.jpg

Called the girlfriend to give her an eta and home to a hot bath and home cooked dinner which I was incredibly grateful for, might keep her around a bit 😄.

Ending the day on 61 miles.

IMG_20230925_152809_e.png

121 miles total and another memorable trip completed. Definitely made the right call on taking the day off work today to recover but dont feel too bad at all, stiff legs reminding me of the achievement.
I don't think I'll ever get tired of cycle adventures whether it's a planned trip or a last minute overnighter. It's definitely my favourite type of cycling and I'd urge anyone to give it a go, the places you get to see and the memories made last a lifetime.
As always thanks for reading and questions welcomed if anyone is thinking of an overnighter, not that I profess to be an expert by any means 😁.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Love it my sort of touring!

Funny how even if you going with a buddy you still take as much stuff!!

I have an old friend in Lincoln whose not been doing too well, (nor have I tbh) so I think a ride out and curry night and breakfast together might just be the thing! Cheers for the idea!

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

@Jameshow Sorry to hear but good you have the support of each other, curry usually solves most things 😉.
Definitely took more this trip as it was only an overnight and back again, heavier warmer clothes for an evening etc. Panniers come in handy for this type of trip I feel, no need to weight watch as much.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing.

There's a nice, relaxed vibe coming off your words which must be a good sign!

CT has the option of selecting "paved only" to avoid rough surprises but I'd imagine that in the UK the options it selects for unpaved are pretty good anyway.
I tend not to do it, but you can also check the display it'll tell you the mileage on Busy/Paved/Unpaved (Road and path) ferries etc. If it's not altogether clear on the map, zooming in can show the unpaved in a different colour.

There's a whole lot to be said for Trangias! One of the most important, for me, is just how quiet it is. It harmonises well with a relaxing trip. Speed? Never been an issue for me. At camp, generally the first thing I do is fire up the Trangia. While it boils water for my coffee the tent goes up.

When you're feeling brave enough, try a winter overnighter! ^_^ Those long, dark nights, snuggled up in the still countryside can be glorious!

Well done & thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to the next one!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Poacher - I stand corrected :blush:

Top Bottom