Little ole wine drinker me (us?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Of course, a good method to try wines from any region is to buy from auction. If there is an auctioneer near you, ask if they have any booze sales. The hammer price on gin and whisky was phenomenally cheap!

I acquired these yesterday:

Average cost of top lot was £9.50 and £11.50 for the bottom. Current retail in canada is C$623. Am quite pleased but will see if its the bargain I imagine when I drink them, will update here.

The Hopetown in top lot was tried last night. I would not pay £9 for it! Am expecting all the others to be significantly better. The 3 on the left in bottom lot are all from BC.

In Qebec & Montreal a couple of months ago, Canadian wines were like hens' teeth. Clearly the Quebecois prefer French!

Gwylan

Veteran
View attachment 525696

I found this a lovely tipple. Will definitely buy again.

View attachment 525697
This is also a great drop to try, normally buy between £6 & £7

Going to enjoy reading this thread 🍷🍷🍷

Sorry "yellow tail" is wine code for ICI!
Or some other mass production industrial chemical company

Red meat for supper called for a nice red to drink and could not resist delving into the recent auction purchase.

2020 Artisan Wine Co. Our Story Cabernet Merlot, Niagara Peninsula VQA

231210 Our Story cab mer '20.JPG

More than acceptable. Good fruit, classic cassis/blackcurrant, lacking a little grip, not overly tannic. Worth buying at C$ retail prices, not quite worth my average bottle cost. However, as this is the cheapest retail, I'm looking forward to the rest!

postman

Legendary Member
Red meat for supper called for a nice red to drink and could not resist delving into the recent auction purchase.

2020 Artisan Wine Co. Our Story Cabernet Merlot, Niagara Peninsula VQA

View attachment 715872

More than acceptable. Good fruit, classic cassis/blackcurrant, lacking a little grip, not overly tannic. Worth buying at C$ retail prices, not quite worth my average bottle cost. However, as this is the cheapest retail, I'm looking forward to the rest!
Good price £11-12 on a Google search.

Nearly one third of the year gone and its very quiet in here so time to let you know what's been going down. Literally.
#1.
240302 Cubillo +2.JPG

Aganis Pinot Grigio, Friuli: an excellent example of pinot grigio (PG). Most PG found in UK is from Veneto and is nowhere near as good as from the region of Friuli Colli Orientali. PG found in supermarkets is mostly from Veneto and lacks anything to write home about, like flavour. This was refreshing, good as an apero yet had good flavour and body to go with food.*

Aldi Specially Selected Encruzado: Encruzado is the grape variety and this was superb, a very pleasant surprise. If all of Aldi's 'Specially Selected' wines are as good as this, then you will not be disappointed. Perfect apero, like the PG, refreshing and full of flavour. A bargain if around £7 to £9 mark.*

Vina Cubillo, Rioja: note the year, 10 years old when consumed. Perfect. Had forgotten how good this wine is. It is the junior version, i.e. crianza, of the Reserva from Lopez Heredia that I mentioned last year. This is better than most producers reservas. Very old school, lots of subtle earthy and spicy notes, soft american oak. That may sound odd but with food it all blends together beautifully. Wonderful with pork, lamb, chicken and any spanish veggie dish. Saw it in a shop recently at £25! I paid only £15 a few years ago. Sadly, I only have one bottle remaining.

*I picked these up at auction so paid much less than full retail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
08400fb3-8445-4c9c-be11-e9450e6894ee_591825472.jpg

For the last few months I've been getting a bottle of this a week from Tesco. It's consistently nice if a bit too easy to quaff the bottle. About £10

D.V. Catena Tinto Historico Malbec is a blend of 95% Malbec, 3% Petit Verdot and 2% Bonarda

#2.
240330 CB +3.JPG

Merwida Chenin Blanc, South Africa: the south africans can and do make decent chenin and you will be unfortunate if you find a poor example at any price range. Typical green apple, some weight to it so works well with food. 12.5% abv.

Te Pa Pinot Noir, New Zealand: not great but not bad. Pale garnet, light-ish body, nice red berry fruit, no sign of oak. Not sweet, which often afflicts inexpensive pinots. £10 from Tesco. I would not buy again. I struggle with inexpensive pinots and although nothing really wrong with this it did not get my juices flowing. Need to pay more for decent pinot IMO. 13.5%

Cantodoro Riserva, Sicily: excellent. Rich, weighty, fruity with earthy and woody flavours. Blend of predominantly nero d'avola (one of THE red grapes of Sicily) and 'international varieties', according to the label. Most likely to mean cabernet sauvignon and merlot. Probably in £12 to £15 region - good value if you find it at this or less. I picked it up for £7.40 ! 13.5%

Valdecuevas Verdejo, Spain: lovely. Verdejo is the grape variety and well worth trying. This was aged on lees and in french oak for 3 months provides wight and body. Serious wine, not just a quaffer. Excellent with any fish dish. Or chicken or pork. Went superbly with fish pie last month. Bottle # 7,556 of 7,620. 13.5%
As an aside, the bottle weighed 880g. Crazy...the spanish are particularly bad for using overly heavy bottles, however, I am prepared to give them a little slack as it is almost 3 years old. Producers are starting to use light bottles. The other 3 bottles total weight was only 1550g.

Last edited:
#3.
240414 RSA Bl..JPG

A trio from South Africa, 3 different grape varieties. The Backsberg Chenin was excellent as was Asda's Chardonnay and the Boschendal Sauvignon was very disappointing. Backsberg is a good, known producer so no surprise there. The chardonnay was a surprise, I'm not familiar with Asda's products. This retails at around £6.50 and is a bargain. If the rest of Asda's 'Extra Special' range is as good as this, you should be happy. Boschendal is another good producer I'm familiar with and yet this was rubbish. No flavour whatsoever, let alone any sort of sauvignon-ness. I hope the chardonnay of theirs that was in the same case is better! However, as I only paid £4.25 for each of these bottles, I still think I'm ahead. Cheers!

Top Bottom