Little victories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
There is this hill. Now this is in Essex so you Welsh and Northern people wouldn't recognise it as a hill but to me it is a hill. Not a hill but a vertical wall. For two years I have been trying to pedal up it and everytime it has had me off walking the steep section in the middle. Yesterday, sun shining, nice new bike and I was mentally ready to do battle. I am convinced that the battle wasn't in my legs but in my mind. I couldn't believe it. I went straight up. Fair do's, I was in my granny gear, but I'm a grand dad so I am entitled to a grand dad gear. Anyway at aged almost 65 and 18 stone I was really chuffed at beating the hill. I was so in a celebratory mind that I came home via another steep climb.

Today I went out expecting to be very heavy legged after yesterdays efforts but from the off I felt good. I did an undulating, rather than hilly, 30 miler at a 13.8 mph average. Not fast by lots of riders standards but I was pleased with it. I have got to get a new saddle though. The Bontrager fitted on the bike is purgatory after 15/20 miles.

Sara_H

Guru
I have a big hill on my way home from work that in the eight years I've lived here, never managed to cycle up - until recently!

Having conquered it, I'm not bothered any more, I still walk part of the way up - I know I can ride up it - if I want to!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
There is this hill. Now this is in Essex so you Welsh and Northern people wouldn't recognise it as a hill but to me it is a hill. Not a hill but a vertical wall. For two years I have been trying to pedal up it and everytime it has had me off walking the steep section in the middle. Yesterday, sun shining, nice new bike and I was mentally ready to do battle. I am convinced that the battle wasn't in my legs but in my mind. I couldn't believe it. I went straight up. Fair do's, I was in my granny gear, but I'm a grand dad so I am entitled to a grand dad gear. Anyway at aged almost 65 and 18 stone I was really chuffed at beating the hill. I was so in a celebratory mind that I came home via another steep climb.

Today I went out expecting to be very heavy legged after yesterdays efforts but from the off I felt good. I did an undulating, rather than hilly, 30 miler at a 13.8 mph average. Not fast by lots of riders standards but I was pleased with it. I have got to get a new saddle though. The Bontrager fitted on the bike is purgatory after 15/20 miles.
What's the name of the hill,

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Avey Lane, running from Sewardstone Road up to High Beech. Long rather than steep apart from the really steep bit half way up.

Wellington Road/Claypit Hill is my next target.
Been there done that, love cycling round that way, i was ther last saturday with my better half, stopped at the Owl on lippets hill and came across another pub a little bit later, only for a glass of orange juice and lemonade,

Top Bottom