Live in Kirkliston?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Very specific of 3.5 miles, which doesn't give you a lot of scope.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
How about up and down the Newbridge - Kirkliston - Dalmeny railway path?

I'm old enough to remember riding the train from Kirkliston to Kinghorn (Sunday School outing). I used to love visiting my grandparents, who all lived there (as did I, briefly, as an infant).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
its not that i cant ride further, its because i dont have my own phone and not really aloud to go further unless i have a phone
Ah, I've just found out how young you are! Why not see if there are some older riders locally that you could go riding with? They could show you some interesting routes and keep an eye on you to reassure your folks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
its not that i cant ride further, its because i dont have my own phone and not really aloud to go further unless i have a phone

Remind your parents that when they were young, they went everywhere without mobile phones. The alternative is that they get you a cheap PAYG phone so you can go a bit further. If you get a supermarket PAYG you are only looking at £10-15 including some credit for emergencies. Not a smart phone, so they won't be able to acuse you of wasting time messaging friends.

I used to regularly ride out into the Peak District when I was much younger than you are. About 36 mile return trip to Buxton from memory.

Be reliable, return when you say you will. Ring if delayed. You'll earn their trust for longer rides.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Remind your parents that when they were young, they went everywhere without mobile phones. The alternative is that they get you a cheap PAYG phone so you can go a bit further. If you get a supermarket PAYG you are only looking at £10-15 including some credit for emergencies. Not a smart phone, so they won't be able to cause you of wasting time messaging friends.

I used to regularly ride out into the Peak District when I was much younger than you are. About 36 mile return trip to Buxton from memory.
Yeahbut... traffic conditions are not what they used to be! I used to cycle 10 miles out of Coventry and back as a 10 year old but if I had a 10 year old now, I would be reluctant to let them cycle unaccompanied on those roads! :eek:

This graphic makes the point rather well!

1576939213608.png

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yeahbut... traffic conditions are not what they used to be! I used to cycle 10 miles out of Coventry and back as a 10 year old but if I had a 10 year old now, I would be reluctant to let them cycle unaccompanied on those roads! :eek:

This graphic makes the point rather well!

View attachment 497293

True, and I used to ride on the A roads a lot when younger. But many of the secondary roads and lanes are still fairly empty. You just need some rules around roads to be avoided.

ColinJ

True, and I used to ride on the A roads a lot when younger. But many of the secondary roads and lanes are still fairly empty. You just need some rules around roads to be avoided.
The problem is when you have to use the busy roads to get to the quiet ones! :okay:

I had a look on Streetview at some of the roads round Kirkliston and they looked a little busy. Perhaps the railway path could be used as a escape route to get to quieter roads, but obviously that would be a much longer ride than 3.5 miles.

genuine question, is the only reason your parents wont let you go far , because you have not got a phone It that's the case then I have a couple of old phones ,you are welcome to one, providing your parents agree, you would need to get a sim card and credit, cant do anything other than call or text but at least they could get in touch with you.

The problem is when you have to use the busy roads to get to the quiet ones! :okay:

I had a look on Streetview at some of the roads round Kirkliston and they looked a little busy. Perhaps the railway path could be used as a escape route to get to quieter roads, but obviously that would be a much longer ride than 3.5 miles.
It's been a while since I have been there but Burnshot Rd and Standing Stane Rd were most used by me to bypass the busy roads.

Top Bottom