England : Cheshire LlanfairPG 400 - 25/05/13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Unfortunately I have another commitment that day, so I won't be there. I'll be riding the Lincoln the week before hopefully.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
@Norry1. How did your first 300 go? I've yet to get a 300 done myself yet. I have a route for a DIY but its still awaiting validation. I may just ride the route anyway. The 300 distance doesn't bother me too much though but the 400 is a pychological barrier I need to overcome!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Hey, first time I've been tagged! Didn't even know what it was.

First 300 went really well - better than I expected and I felt really strong at the end. I've done a write up on my blog if you want more details (link in Sig). Mentally, I just thought of it as a series of 40 mile rides and that seemed to work.

Not decided definitely yet, but will probably look at a 400 next. I think 600 would be my psychological barrier as I wouldn't stop for a sleep on a 400 but would need to on a 600.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I tried your website but it seems to be about LEJOG in 2011. Is there another link on it?

I'm signed up for this one and it's also my first 400 , I did the Plains last weekend as my first 300 which has boosted my confidence no end so hopefully not to many surprises moving up to 400 .

Paul

tubbycyclist

Entered this one now. Rode it last year, and thought it was a good mix of terrain - some benign cyclepaths, a bit of climbing for variety. Very easy navigation on what proved to be a completely empty A road on the return leg overnight.

My recollections from last year are:
- Anglesey closes early. Because of the 9am start I was hitting the outskirts of Holyhead around 11 hours later and it is surprising how little there is in Valley and LLPG. The chippie in Valley fed us, but only after we appealed to them to stay open, think it closed at 8pm.
- There is a small section of unlit lanes on the return that are rolling after leaving Bangor. Some riders I was with thought about jumping on the A55 for a few miles to avoid these lanes. My own view was this is not a good idea but you may think differently. It looked to me like the closest thing to a motorway in that part of North Wales.
- There was a control at a 24 hour garage at Abergele, but worth noting that there is a Macdonalds that is open 24 hours very nearby that meant we could sit down and get coffee at 2am, which was great if you're flagging. Hopefully it won't be drive through only this year.
- The finish at Poynton early on a Sunday morning may be a little anticlimactic, you may have to pat yourself on the back as there will be no one else there to do it!

Edit: Entered now, and looking forward to it.

Top Bottom