loading up 3 bikes on your car cycle carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi

How long does it take for you to load up 3 bikes on your cycle carrier.

I have a tow bar carrier, by the time I put the carrier on, loaded the first bike on, put the straps on and repeat the process for the other two bikes can almost take 10 mins or more. This seems a long time to me, I want a solution which is quick and easy.

How long does it take you to load up your bikes?

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

what about the witters carriers, seem quick and easy.

Anyone got one of these and what do they think of them, especially loading up.

Thanks

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've just ordered one of these and, if I can get 3 bikes strapped on in 10 mins - I'll be well pleased ;)

Something I took into account is whether the bikes are supported on the frame (ie the crossbar) or the wheels. I prefered wheel support, as road bikes are not as robust/are more 'precious' than my hybrid/son's off-road thing

Don't think it will make much diffeence to the strap-on time, though

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have to say, if 10 minutes is really too long, you need to learn about relaxing a bit. Or start doing it 10 minutes sooner.

I reckon it would take me half an hour to get one on, by the time I'd struggled to lift stuff, strapped it, double/triple checked all the straps and stuff...

Anyway, once you're in the car you can easily lose or make up 10 minutes depending on traffic light phases, traffic on motorway etc. I'd just chill out more...

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
Takes me longer - I've got a roof mount, and by the time everything is secure I'd say 20 minutes.

If I ever had a car with a roof mount, it's be 10 minutes just getting the ladder in place to reach the damn thing!:smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have a Witter cycle rack and can get the rack set up in less then a minute. I can then hang three bikes on in less then a minute and then throw a ratchet strap around the whole lot in a few seconds.

It can take a bit longer to load if I am unfamiliar with the bikes but once I have done it the first time then next time it is quicker and easier.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You've obviously never tried fitting a bike rack to an elephant!

Night Train said:
I have a Witter cycle rack and can get the rack set up in less then a minute. I can then hang three bikes on in less then a minute and then throw a ratchet strap around the whole lot in a few seconds.

It can take a bit longer to load if I am unfamiliar with the bikes but once I have done it the first time then next time it is quicker and easier.

I can verify all the above regarding the Witter cycle rack. They are a very robust design and I've even managed to get four (smaller) bikes on it. It is a matter of seconds to fit it and remove it from the towbar. A great design and reasonable value.

Top Bottom