lobster gloves OK for road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I was thinking of getting some lobster winter gloves like these, but do they give you enough dexterity to change the gears on a road bike (Allez)? Thanks.

sealskinz-bar-mitten-glove-11-zoom.jpg

Chrisz

Über Member
I have a similar set (mine are about 15 years old now!!!) and I find them fine to use - I run Campag ergos and never had a problem.

I do find that they get too warm sometimes - ok below 5c - any warmer and my hads start to get sweaty!

I use them on Shimano STI (both bar mounted and brifters) and they work just fine. The only problem with lobsters is you need to save them for really cold days as they can be too warm on normal cold days.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks chaps. I don't think I'll complain if they are too warm. In my experience, I have been close to crying at how cold my fingers have been on some winter days.

gbb

Legendary Member
Thanks chaps. I don't think I'll complain if they are too warm. In my experience, I have been close to crying at how cold my fingers have been on some winter days.
I feel your pain Maz...literally.
I don't think some people know how utterly numbing the cold is for some of us. Even 0 degrees for 1/2 hour just kills me.
I brought a pair of lobsters off the carboot earlier this year for this winter...hoping they would work, gawld knows, ive tried (and failed) with lots of other hand protection.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I brought a pair of lobsters off the carboot earlier this year for this winter...hoping they would work, gawld knows, ive tried (and failed) with lots of other hand protection.
Do let us know how you get on, gbb.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Well, I've got the gloves and they're OK-ish. The ends of my fingers still get numb, but it is bearable.
I think I'l try wearing them with my Pearl Izumi inner gloves - see if that helps. Cheers.

yello

Having said that, the 'lobster' type of gloves score very well in terms of warmth, even for motorcyclists.

That's my experience of them and I do find them warmer than fingered gloves.

I've not had need of gloves warmer than Spec Radiants on my bike though.

Top Bottom