Local Authority 5, TFL 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Local Authority 5, TFL 0

Apologies in advance to the more sensitive forum members for the London centric nature of this thread…

I’ve Reported potholes to my local council (Richmond, Surrey) a few times now – on each occasion they have been excellent at responding, with workman arriving ready to fix them on the same day, often within an hour or two.

So, when I came off my bike last night while using a cyclepath that tfl have responsibility for… (workmen’s plastic fencing lying all across it and not spotted by me in the dark – yes I had lights, but the slippery plastic things just weren’t visible until I was on top of them, and in combo with the rain, they made for a fantastic surface to cycle over when you’re not ready for it!!)… I thought tfl might take it seriously.

To be fair I didn’t e-mail them until this morning when I saw the debris was still there, but, as of now (6.30pm) not even a conformation e-mail in response – told them I came off and was injured – shite still stroon across the path – wonder if they would leave a road blocked / in a dangerous condition for a day?

That’ll teach me for using the cyclepath – back on the road this evening!!

PBancroft

TwickenhamCyclist said:
wonder if they would leave a road blocked / in a dangerous condition for a day?

Anyone got a contact there? Those who shout loudest, gets.

ChrisKH

Guru
Don't they fill potholes with gold in Richmond? :biggrin:

(Used to have a girlfriend who lived in Roehampton & East Sheen years ago).

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
It might be a joke to you, but it’s no laughing matter down here – I’ve had to give my butler a pay cut, and put my personal shopper on notice…:biggrin:

rnscotch

Veteran
It does not surprise me, there is a multi use cycle/foot path i use on my commute to work it runs Parallel with the very busy A80 back in April i reported that there was a section that was impassable due to overgrown branches, shrubs and brambles.

I had previously came off twice on this section final straw was when i ripped my jacket on the same day i also reported a pot hole further up on the main road... The pot hole was repaired that day the overgrown trees, shrubs etc only got cut back last week it is now November so it's took them 7 months to sort this out. :smile:

Last night i learned it got cut back because the local running club complained. :smile:

theboytaylor

ChrisKH said:
Don't they fill potholes with gold in Richmond? :biggrin:

Luxury! I think they use cottage cheese in SE London. Repaired potholes actually seem to be worse than the original craters.

Poor form on TFL's part. Maybe they're just hoping a community minded cyclist will get fed up of seeing it there and move it themselves....:smile:

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
Ok – I know it’s not the biggest issue in the world but – crap still there so I called TFL & explained – nice customer services person – turns out their “inbox is full” therefore delays in getting to any reports made online at the moment – so if it’s serious carriageway problem give ‘em a call? – seemed to be dealing with it seriously now

RE moving it myself – I pushed/folded it over and out of the way, but what with all the wind and occasional passing chavs (yes, even in Richmond) it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up on the road or cycle path again

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
TwickenhamCyclist said:
Ok – I know it’s not the biggest issue in the world but – crap still there so I called TFL & explained – nice customer services person – turns out their “inbox is full” therefore delays in getting to any reports made online at the moment – so if it’s serious carriageway problem give ‘em a call? – seemed to be dealing with it seriously now

RE moving it myself – I pushed/folded it over and out of the way, but what with all the wind and occasional passing chavs (yes, even in Richmond) it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up on the road or cycle path again

The ones I've seen are supposed to be filled with sand or grit and have an open top so the rain will get in - makes them immobile in most winds. Or are these the silly "fence" ones on the little black stands? I think they buy those because they're cheap:wacko:

I hold a special hatred for the orange plastic mesh jobs which are held up by a metal spike hammered into the ground. There was some of those at the top of the bridleway I use on my way to work to stop everyone falling into the big hole where cables were being laid.

Fair enough, but it wasn't fun to come round the corner in the dark and find one of the spikes aimed at you at a jaunty angle. ;) The young ladies on their horses didn't seem best pleased by it either.

Top Bottom