Local Grants to support cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mossy

Hi
Does anyone know if local councils give grants to support cycling?

I have heard of monies being available in some areas for facilities such as showers etc.
Can anyone advise if they know of grants like these being available.

We are looking to try to get more people cycling to work and implement the cycle to work scheme,at our company.
We are Redditch (Worcestershire) based.
Thanks

Your local council may well have funding via a sustainable travel plan. They are the best people to start with.

Noodley

Nipper said:
Showers! Yeah showers! That will get people on their bikes...

Well, it has contributed to it at my place of work. It's not in itself wholly responsible but it all adds up...maybe you just happen to work with particularly ignorant people?

jonesy

Guru
Noodley said:
Well, it has contributed to it at my place of work. It's not in itself wholly responsible but it all adds up...maybe you just happen to work with particularly ignorant people?

And at mine. If you have a lot of employees travelling more than 2 miles or so then being able to go at a decent pace and have a shower is going to make cycling more attractive to many.

Nipper

Noodley said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipper
Showers! Yeah showers! That will get people on their bikes...

Where did my post go, the one quoted here?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Nipper said:
Where did my post go, the one quoted here?

It probably disappeared because you were taking the piss out of people. Campaign has a higher quality of debate and I can see why it might not have been deemed appropriate. If you want an argument about what a waste of time showers are I suggest you go to commuting, although that part of the forum is a bit less friendly than here.

In answer to the OP I'm afraid the only thing I saw was that Worcestershire had grants for cycle stands. Couldn't find anything about showers. Anyway best of luck with it.

Nipper

So you took the time to delete my comment but not to inform me. Sounds like something an arrogant lorry driver would do.

My comment was constructive, I was not rude, I just used sarcasm to put across my point. You deleted the post because you disagree with it, not a very high class of debate.

OP
OP
M

mossy

Thanks

Hi All
Yes I could only find grants for cycle stands that why I asked here.
I need factual evidence to put forward a case to employers to increase cycling.
Our employers are not "ignorant people" and support our ideas but need information to take cycle to work to the board.
Once again thanks to those who gave constructive ideas

gavintc

Guru
Nipper said:
So you took the time to delete my comment but not to inform me. Sounds like something an arrogant lorry driver would do.

My comment was constructive, I was not rude, I just used sarcasm to put across my point. You deleted the post because you disagree with it, not a very high class of debate.

I did not read your original post, only the snippet that remains. However, your current post has remained. In it, you reveal yourself as a fairly unpleasant character. Rhythm may be employed as a truck driver. What he does for employment is his concern. However, his contribution to Cycle Chat is excellent. He provides valued and considered comment.

Your comment devalues you. It proves that you see people by how you value their profession, not as people. You have also failed to note that the removal of the post followed complaints by others. It is not simply RT's judgment on your original comment.

I propose that you grow up a little and consider your comments before commenting on CC.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Centro are the people to get in touch with in the West Midlands. You might

- suggest they produce a guide to Workplace Travel Plans a la TfL - they offer a standard Travel Plan.
- put some money in to kickstarting them

but...don't hold your breath. Centro is, perhaps, the least well developed transport authority of any size in the country.

Their sustainable travel section is the moribund Company Travelwise. Contact

Mike Cooper/Rebecca Hawthorne
Company TravelWise Co-ordinators
Tel: 0121 303 7249/7485
Fax: 0121 303 6349
E-mail: travelwise@birmingham.gov.uk

Top Bottom