Loch Rannoch - north or south side ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

I live not so far away from the Glasgow to Mallaig train line (the world's most scenic trainride) and it is about time to do the Rannoch station down to Glasgow over Loch Rannoch and Glen Lyon this spring/summer.

The route gives it self with Loch Rannoch down to B846 and up Glen Lyon and over to mid Loch Tay again and Killin, Callander and Glasgow. But I am not sure which side of Loch Rannoch is most fun and scenic.

Anyone here done it and can offer advice ?

PS: And yes, I will use a tent and I guess this is a two-three days long tour.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can't help with the road along the south side of Loch Rannoch, but I have done the road along the north side, from Kinloch Rannoch to Rannoch Station. I have to confess that although it was on 2 wheels, I had a 600cc engine to assist :whistle:. The road was almost deserted (even on a nice summers day) and has (well, HAD; it was about 3 years ago) a really good surface.

That sounds like a cracker of a cycle route, and one that I would be tempted to do myself. I have done the climb up to Glen Lyon from the Killin side and thought it was never going to end!

zizou

Veteran
Both are really nice so whatever one you choose will be good - I think the south side will be a bit quieter in terms of traffic but its not like the north side is busy either!

OP
OP
T

toroddf

I think that is my easter holiday, yes. ^_^
It is in total a 120 miles ride. I guess there will be less midges around so it will be safe to pitch up a tent in Glen Lyon and do the rest the day after.

Which side of Glen Rannoch has most hills and which side has the least forest = the best views ?

Paladin - York

I've also planned to do a "Loch Rannoch" but after Easter. I'm catching the train from York to Pitlochry, then heading for Rannoch Station along one side of Loch Rannoch and returning the other.

Paladin - York

am hoping to get that way some day to ..:thumbsup: had friends say loch ossian is a must if in that area ^_^

Hi "theloafer",

I'm sure I've never been along Loch Rannoch before but I have passed through Rannoch Station on the train. Two or three days should do it.
Loch Ossian, according to the OS Map, doesn't look accessible by bike but there is a track that circuits the loch from Corrour Station. :bicycle:

I've done the Etape Caledonia a few times up there, it goes along both side I cant remember much of difference but the views are good, enjoy :smile:
I think this is the north bank
Etape Caledonia 2010 b.jpg

New Picture (2).jpg

saoirse50

Veteran
I've done the Etape Caledonia a few times up there, it goes along both side I cant remember much of difference but the views are good, enjoy :smile:
View attachment 6742
View attachment 6743

rualexander

Legendary Member
Both sides of Loch Rannoch are really nice rides, but if only doing one I would go on the south side as it is quieter and more varied.
Incidentally, in response to Paladin-york's post above, Loch Ossian is accessible by bike either from Corrour Station or from the main road at the western end of Loch Laggan, you can get off the train at Corrour then ride out to the road at Loch Laggan and get back on another train at Tulloch Station.

theloafer

Legendary Member
+1
Both sides of Loch Rannoch are really nice rides, but if only doing one I would go on the south side as it is quieter and more varied.
Incidentally, in response to Paladin-york's post above, Loch Ossian is accessible by bike either from Corrour Station or from the main road at the western end of Loch Laggan, you can get off the train at Corrour then ride out to the road at Loch Laggan and get back on another train at Tulloch Station.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Hi "theloafer",

I'm sure I've never been along Loch Rannoch before but I have passed through Rannoch Station on the train. Two or three days should do it.
Loch Ossian, according to the OS Map, doesn't look accessible by bike but there is a track that circuits the loch from Corrour Station. :bicycle:
hi paladin
found this ..http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/loch-ossian.shtml ps friends who said must do if in the area are members of the roughstuff fellowship...:laugh:

I live not so far away from the Glasgow to Mallaig train line (the world's most scenic trainride) and it is about time to do the Rannoch station down to Glasgow over Loch Rannoch and Glen Lyon this spring/summer.

But I am not sure which side of Loch Rannoch is most fun and scenic.

We frequently used to stay at a holiday home on Loch Rannoch and would often stretch our legs by cycling around Loch Rannoch.

Loch Rannoch - the north side. you will see more daylight - it more has camping opportunities and a few more vehicles, nothing at all to get worried about. It is on the whole flatter - but not flat and you will get better views of the south side which as some dramatic mountains.

The south side is colder. Noticeably. It also has few cars, many fewer camping opporunties (outside of the campsite that is) and has much more woodland. It is beautiful in its own right, wilder towards to bottom of the Loch and hiller. I prefer this side, but if you are after wild camping - go to the other side of the loch. the road is also much narrow and becomes single track at the far end so any vehicles you do meet are slightly more difficult to deal with.

I also noticed that you mentioned Rannoch Station - word of warning here, so that you are prefered. You will have to unload and carry your bike(s) across the bridge over the railway and the platform is quite a bit lower than the train, so there is good step to pick the bike up and lift it into the carriage. Give yourself some extra time.

After you leave loch rannoch, on the way to rannoch station, look out for the rock frog just before the last hydroelectric dam. On the flat bit before the last climb

IMG_1226_1024.JPG

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Actually, it's the east end .... ;)

I've holidayed up there (many, many moos ago :ohmy:) Edit: and 'moons' too ! :blush: and know the area quite well.

- North side is the 'main road' side, south is slightly closer to the lochside for more of it.​
- North gets any sunshine :sun: - south hardly gets any (if there is any to be had :sad:)​
- Schiehallion can be seen from the North side, not/less so from the south​
- neither is busy​
- our favourite picnic spots are on South side - but that's not camping​
Google maps might assist !

Top Bottom