Lock for Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have some heavy duty locks for home use, but don't have anything for use whilst touring. As my brother and I are doing LEJoG in just over 2 weeks time, it is probably time we got something :smile:

Can anyone suggest locks which are a good balance between security, weight and price.

Thanks.

Martin

e-rider

crappy member
kryptonite Series 4 standard size D-lock (fairly strong and doesn't weigh a tonne - but it's not that light either) online price is about £35 --- RRP is £50

I carried this lock on my LEJOG - with the panniers I can't say I noticed the extra weight. The bike was simply just very heavy! We ended up locking our bikes in many places I wouldn't usually be happy to lock my bike - often you have no choice. Lunch stops, outside B&Bs etc.

If you go for any cable type lock you run a high risk of having your bikes stolen and not completing your trip! I can see why you wouldn't want to carry a New York or M18 though!!!

Bodhbh

Guru
I just use a cable lock when on my own, they do have the advantage of being versatile, there's not always anything suitable to D-lock a bike too (you can't D-lock a bike to a tree). If I'm with my mate, we carry one D-lock between us to lock the frames in an immobile lump, then cable lock thru the wheels and to whatevers handy.

Folding locks seem a good compramise, if you wanted something at least boltcutter resistant:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-bordo-90cm-folding-bike-lock

Top Bottom