Locking Quick Release Hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harry Callahan

I am studying Design and Technology at A2. For my project I will be designing quick release hubs/Skewers for bicycles with the main focus being on improving the security of quick release wheels when they are left parked up but also on keeping them quick and easy to use. I would like to hear any advice or comments which people have as it would be great to hear from the cycling community to get vital research for my project.

AndyPeace

There are some designs already in production which would be worth looking at for ideas. I'll be honest I wouldn't use them. I tried them but the hassle of needing a special tool to remove the wheel was inconvenient. If I was running an expensive wheelset, it would be on an expensive bike, which I'd be unlikely to ever leave unattended outside my home. quick release is handy for easy wheel removal for fixing punctures. On my commute bike, I secure the bike with a compact d lock, which makes lifting the bike to remove the wheel difficult.
If I wanted to improve the security of quick release wheels I wouldn't change the skewer but look to improve the design of the bike stand and it's scope to prevent the quick releases being opened.

Tyke

Zefal do some that are locked until you turn the bike upside down. I fitted them to stop some idiot at work thinking it was funny to unlock my wheels everyday. When the bike is locked it cant be turned over when unlocked just stand it on back wheel slightly past vertical and they will unlock just like normal ones. Locking is done as normal.

OP
OP
H

Harry Callahan

AndyPeace, I like your idea of having a system which stops the quick releases being opened. I'm thinking of something which could encase the quick release which could then be locked on. I think the whole idea would be marketed at everyone who has a bike with quick release because a lot of theft is opportunist so people will steal any sort of wheel not necessarily because they are expensive, just because the opportunity is there so that would cause inconvenience more than anything to people who then have to get their bike back with no wheels as well as then needing to get another wheelset,

Top Bottom