Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I have a Magnum Plus D Lock and weighs a kilo. I am going on tour to West Scotland and needing to be weight conscious of weight consider it overkill for the Scottish Highlands as I am not going to any large towns.

Other people take cable locks but I don't trust them on their own. However tonight in B and Q I found this D Lock at £15 a masterlock D Lock with a 5 rating and weights 500g.

Whilst not the most secure lock in the world, on balance given the weight, cost, location of where I am going and the weaknesses of cables locks I am going to take it, seems a good compromise.

However I have ready in many places that if you have two locks (a D Lock and a cable lock) most bike thieves will move onto the next bike as they carry tools for only one type of lock.

If I were to take a cable lock it would add 250g. Is it worth it though? Surely if a thief can get through a D Lock (maybe with bolt cutters) a cable lock will be childs play. So what is the point?

I can only see this applying if the bike thief only has a jack with them in which case it would apply.

What does everyone else think?

Or should I just take the locks back and take my original 1KG D Lock? I would think no considering the hilly nature of Western Scotland.

Thanks for any input.

cheers

Steve Jubb

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi stephen..have been to scotland on 4 trips and have always used a cable lock but most of the time there was no need to at all more so in the west very friendly ppl mind i might just have been lucky you could also use a little trick i was told about use a old toe strap and put it through the rear wheel around the brake bridge..:rolleyes: also helps if parking on a slope

ASC1951

Guru
stephenjubb said:
What does everyone else think?
For where you're going I wouldn't bother with any lock at all - I never have. If that makes you nervous, take a light cable lock. If you're still nervous, take both. If you're then still nervous, stay at home.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
stephenjubb said:
Or should I just take the locks back and take my original 1KG D Lock? I would think no considering the hilly nature of Western Scotland.

Thanks for any input.

cheers

Steve Jubb

I'd not worry too much about bike theft. Yes it does happen but bear the following in mind:

Opportunist thieves want a quick getaway - usually on an unladen unlocked bike. A fully loaded touring bike lacks appeal.

Thieves with a mission i.e. get as many bikes as possible or the most expensive bikes will focus on areas where they are found routinely e.g. out side popular tea shops and cafes and cycle parking facilities.

Locks only delay really determined thieves.

The general population do not stroll arounf carrying bottlejacks, bolt cutters and cordless disc cutters in the hope of acquiring a bike.

The population of bike thieves is miniscule.

The chances of your bike being in the same place as a fully equipped bike thief is even smaller.

A kiligram equates to a litre of water or a couple of cans of baked beans. It's not going to make that much difference on the hills.

You'll be really unlucky to pick a route involving lots of steep hills - the Scots tend to creat roads that go round hills and mountains rather than over them.

I've made do with a cable lock for the past four years and five thousand miles of cycle touring and on many ocassions the bike has been unlocked overnight in campsites.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bigtwin said:
Don't bother - Scotland's full of lochs.

:smile::biggrin: Brilliant!

I only ever take a fairly light lock as my bike is generally only out of sight when I'm in the tent and I've never felt vulnerable.

Danny

Legendary Member
I agree with Vernon, the risks of theft are very low if you are touring anywhere in the countryside.

And as you are touring the west of Scotland the midges will deter most opportunistic thieves :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
stephenjubb said:
If I were to take a cable lock it would add 250g. Is it worth it though? Surely if a thief can get through a D Lock (maybe with bolt cutters) a cable lock will be childs play. So what is the point?
I think it was someone here who made the point that often there is not anything handy you can D-lock your bike too. Whereas a long cable lock is pretty versitile in this regard allowing you to easily lock it to trees and you can include wheels, panniers, etc in the loop.

This proved so in practice when me and a mate where up there the other week, him with his D-lock and me just with a cable lock. The cable lock proved far more use to attaching to things and securing the panniers, the D-lock was handy for locking both bikes together to make an uncartable lump, but useless for securing to anything.

But the vibes were mostly that chance of theft was almost zero tbh and feel a bit silly locking them.

paulrw

I worried prior to going across france last year as a first timer about security. A friend said '' look, don't waste time worrying about what might happen. Take reasonable precautions and relax. If anything happens deal with it. Don't worry,chill, enjoy.

Cromcruaich

Whatever you do dont buy more kit, either take your meaty d lock or stick with the coil.

No point saving a bit of weight for the sake of £15, you wont notice any difference if you all laden up anyway.

Top Bottom