london 2 brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alanb

Regular
ive just been accepted to do the london 2 brighton ride, can anyone give me tips on training, i only do biking for fun at the moment, about 10-15 miles at weekends...Alan

yoyo

I did London to Brighton two years ago with no training at all. You won't need to worry about the hills as you can't cycle on them anyway as they are wall-to-wall people walking their bikes up them. Overall it is an easy ride, slightly downhill with three largish hills and Ditchling Beacon. I do similar distances to your current mileage. Enjoy the day out.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome
Alanb I suggest a search of the forum. There's reams of stuff about the L2B which will tell you more than you need to know!
In terms of a ride, it's fairly sedate due to vast numbers, quite a few of the hills are walked. It's a long day outdoors in whatever the weather brings rather than a hard bike ride, but however you count it, it's still 56 or so miles with nice company and views. Add to the fact that because of the vast numbers you need to keep your wits about you, it's like riding in an uncoordinated peleton. People stop and pull in front of you for no reason. However, as a cycling event, it's immense, a carnival on 2 wheels.

Training-wise you're probably doing just fine, my advice would be to start to increase the distances once in a while. Main reason is to find-out what hurts with increasing time in the saddle and what you like to eat and drink on a bike.
Strongly suggest good padded shorts and decent gloves. Something light for foul weather advisable too - we rode to Ditchling in sunshine once, T-shirt weather, at the top of the hill there was the mother of all rainstorms, from outta nowhere. They were treating for hypothermia on the sea-front, there were a lot of very shivery unhappy bodies huddling together.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom