London Met Collision Consultation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I suppose @Drago will confirm if this is SOP, but it certainly feels like the met are really under scrutiny right now.

Drago

Legendary Member
I suppose @Drago will confirm if this is SOP, but it certainly feels like the met are really under scrutiny right now.

It's been 20 years since I was booted off RPU so my knowledge of collision investigation is rusty.

However, I can confirm from first hand experience that even back then the Met were on a different planet, wasting time and resources bickering over rubbish while the important business of dealing with criminality of misogyny of some or their officers went unaddressed. I see little evidence of fundamental change beyond platitudes and hand wringing, and nothing will ultimately change while recruitment is left in the hand of HR types who have zero knowledge of policing and who give soft priorities a higher importance than basic honesty, decency and integrity.

Slick

Guru
It's been 20 years since I was booted off RPU so my knowledge of collision investigation is rusty.

However, I can confirm from first hand experience that even back then the Met were on a different planet, wasting time and resources bickering over rubbish while the important business of dealing with criminality of misogyny of some or their officers went unaddressed. I see little evidence of fundamental change beyond platitudes and hand wringing, and nothing will ultimately change while recruitment is left in the hand of HR types who have zero knowledge of policing and who give soft priorities a higher importance than basic honesty, decency and integrity.

Where do you feel this is going, is it appeasing the masses or are the Met in for real change?

Drago

Legendary Member
It'll take a generation to change and until they fundamentally overhaul their recruitment and vetting methods they haven't even started.

When I joined I was interviewed, interviewed at home, my old CO was interviewed, friends were interviewed, they dug into my backstory and references to a squeaky degree. This was done by an inspector and a PC, both coppers, both experienced investigators and interrogators. No copper with a nickname 'the Rapist' would have been able to transfer into the Met under that old regime.

Now its in the hands of HR who do no such thing, who rely on paper references, who make no enquiries as to the real integrity and suitability of the candidate. Until that initial point of contact for candidates is kicked into touch then nothing from that point onwards is likely to change meaningfully.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
It has recently been observed that because the Met is such a huge force now; numbers and the geographical area that it's responsible for, it's become unmanageable and the only realistic 'answer' to it's problems is to divide it up into smaller more manageable sub forces as it were.
One possibility. :whistle:
The City of London Police were / are responsible for a mere one and a quarter square miles of the capital. Perhaps the 'city' should be expanded and get them to assume responsibility for a larger area - ? :whistle:

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
It has recently been observed that because the Met is such a huge force now; numbers and the geographical area that it's responsible for, it's become unmanageable and the only realistic 'answer' to it's problems is to divide it up into smaller more manageable sub forces as it were.
One possibility. :whistle:
The City of London Police were / are responsible for a mere one and a quarter square miles of the capital. Perhaps the 'city' should be expanded and get them to assume responsibility for a larger area - ? :whistle:

Perhaps city and district inside and outside the inner circular rd.

Top Bottom