London > Paris.. Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob7222

I'm looking to do the London > Paris trip some time in June/July, as this will be my first journey of this length I wanted a little help making a list of the necessities. I suppose it's worth mentioning I don't want to take panniers so if it doesn't fit in a rucksack I cant have it :laugh:

Spare cycling kit, socks, pair of sandals, pair of shorts, wash cloth
Inner tubes, tyre levers, multi tool
map, small compass, camera :biggrin:
money, book of French phrases
Some type of food bars, just in case.

Ok that's me beat, any help would be great.

Of course - pump, lock and wet wipes!

iLB

Hello there
might want a pump and a lock me thinks...

ronmac

Hi Rob, I'm ronmac and am making trip first 2 weeks in April. I'm fairly new to all this but can contact you when I get back if you want, to let you know how it went etc.. You sure travel light. I'm curious as to why you don't want to use panniers. I think they're great. My back doesn't get sweaty from having a backpack on and I don't find the weight in the panniers a problem at all (I've been experimenting carrying 2 stones of books in them !). Still we're all different, just thought I'd mention it. Cheers. Ron.

OP
OP
R

rob7222

ronmac said:
Hi Rob, I'm ronmac and am making trip first 2 weeks in April. I'm fairly new to all this but can contact you when I get back if you want, to let you know how it went etc.. You sure travel light. I'm curious as to why you don't want to use panniers. I think they're great. My back doesn't get sweaty from having a backpack on and I don't find the weight in the panniers a problem at all (I've been experimenting carrying 2 stones of books in them !). Still we're all different, just thought I'd mention it. Cheers. Ron.
Yeah that'd be great, really appreciate it, cheers.
No panniers because I'll be using an all carbon bike which wont fit them and backpack's have come a long way, cycle-specific ones often have clever methods of providing ventilation to your back - preventing that uncomfortable wetness.

aqaleigh

hi rob7222

only you will know whats good for you after a few trial short tours but here's a couple of suggestions to add to your list

cable ties
sun cream
lights
disposable gloves
copies of passport & driving licence
small first aid kit ( plasters / pain killers / deep heat etc.)
tape
possibly spare folding tyre and a couple of spokes - just in case you can't get the correct size
mobile phone
wet weather gear
wash kit
pen & journal

think thats about it - hope its of some use and have a great ride

zzpza

i did l2p last year. i had loads of spares with me and used none of them. not even a puncture. i guess i was lucky. one thing i would say, if you are going to use a rucksack, make sure it's one with a waist belt, and make sure you use it. i had a 3L camelbac and my shoulders really hurt on the first day when i didn't use the waist belt. no problems on the second day when i did. also, as mentioned sun tan lotion is very important! don't forget your passport either...

OP
OP
R

rob7222

Anybody have any ideas on how much B&B will cost or experience of any good ones I could aim to stay at?
I'm expecting 30-50Eu a night

zzpza

if you want to do it in 2 days, abbeville is a good place to stop. there's an ibis there and it was £55 a room per night in august last year.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Small 1 or 2 star hotels are usually in that price range. Are you alone or sharing a room?

andym

Über Member
Travelwash
Park Tyre Boot
Personally I'd take clothes to change into rather than spare cycling gear.
I'd second the recommendation for lights.

OP
OP
R

rob7222

rich p said:
Small 1 or 2 star hotels are usually in that price range. Are you alone or sharing a room?
Hoping a couple of people are joining me but could end up alone

Top Bottom