London to Amsterdam advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longshot

Hi there. I'm planning to do a London to Amsterdam charity ride in 2013 but want to do it independently of the big organised events. It will be a work event and there will likely be 10-15 of us, very mixed ability.

I've looked at the obvious routes. It would seem that Ramsgate to Zeebrugge will not carry foot or cycle passengers so that's out - is this right? Also, given the group and available timing, a quick hop to France and then cycle 300ish miles is not going to be acceptable. The quick option, London to Harwich to Hook of Holland to Amsterdam is a bit lighter than we'd like ideally - 200 and a bit miles is the target.

I therefore hit on an idea and would welcome any advice from those in the know. I'm proposing that we go to Harwich, jump on the overnight ferry, then head North up the coast on (or close to) the North Sea Cycle Route. Rather than turning right at Haarlem, I' thinking we carry on up to say Alkmaar before turning right to Enkhuizen and then looping back to Amsterdam via the N302 "Houtribdijk" which crosses the Markermeer to Lelystad. This produces a route of circa 220 or so miles which I think will suit our group over three days.

Am I missing anything obvious? The idea of the 27km cross water dyke route appealed to many of us but am I setting us up for trouble (thinking weather/wind/restrictions)?

Thanks in advance.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
The Houtribdijk is wonderful to bike across, especailly early in the morning, but beware that as you are heading south you will probably have a headwind all the way, with absolutely no shelter. When you arrive in Lelystad at the end of the dyke turn right, cross Flevoland and rejoin the mainland near Naarden and the Zuider Zee cycle route will take you into Amsterdam.

OP
OP
Longshot

Longshot

Alan - thanks very much. The head wind information is exactly the kind of thing where I was worried I might make a cock up through lack of local knowledge.

snorri

Legendary Member
There is the option of the Enkhuizen - Urk ferry for anyone not fancying cycling the dyke. Urk was once an island community and has a character all of its own.
I haven't cycled the Houtribdijk, but have crossed the Afsluitdijk. The sheer tedium had a weird fascination, you have to try it once.:biggrin:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
The prevailing wind in Holland is from the southwest. If it prevails for you, you will have some aerial resistance all the way from Enkhuizen to Amsterdam. It is a well known fact, however, that everyone simultaneously always has a headwind in Holland. Even if you admit defeat half way across the Houtribdijk, turn round 180 degrees and go back to Enkhuizen you will still be struggling into the same headwind.

At the end of the Houtribdijk there are two mobile snackbars in a lay-by. The one on the right has been known to sell the most vile herring sandwiches imaginable. Avoid them! It does do a decent cup of coffee, though and the chap in the van is a very friendly sort.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I haven't cycled the Houtribdijk, but have crossed the Afsluitdijk. The sheer tedium had a weird fascination, you have to try it once.:biggrin:

The Afsluitdijk is a long, long straight road. The HRD has a couple of bends in it and the views are far nicer. There is also a ferry from Enkhuizen to Stavoren, but the route from Stavoren/Urk to Amsterdam is far longer than Lelystad - Amsterdam.

JC4LAB

Some more ideas to play with..but .I prefer old cities and photography ,usually cycling at a much slower speed and daily distance than would satisfy most....and stop at lot ..
http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=361
Done two bike trips to holland..A circle simlar to this charity bike ride but then north of Amsderdam ,Gouda & other famous towns etc to Frieseland then Down the coast downwind .on the Zuidersee dyke...If you did aroute like this near the end of april it would give you a chance to see Hollands best array of windmills at Kinderdijk near Rotteredam and a chance to see the bulb fiels at Lisse and Keukenhof Gardens near Norwijk on the coast,best seen on a dutch bike than crusing through them.
Countries like holland are so much worth more than one visit.Its a choice where to go each time and what style of ride oy prefer..

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
When I went over to Holland there was a daytime Harwich Hoek catamaran which was pretty fast. I cycled back roads to Colchester, stayed the night in the pub and then took the scenic route through Constable Country in time for the Ferry. I cycled onto Rotterdam and then stopped the night with in-laws. No idea if it is still running.

Essex tends to be either unpleasantly busy straight A-roads or twisting lanes and not knowing the county well, the ride across was a bit of a feat of navigation.

Top Bottom