London to Brighton diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luke7580

Hi all! Im going to be doing the L to B ride in the summer, my first attempt! and im looking for some dietry advice, be it starting now or nearer the event. many thanks ....Luke

jasonmccullum

Über Member
i am also planning to do this event as my first non solo ride... i would like to lose 7lbs before ride also.....

also any advice about the ride would also be welcome

ChrisKH

Guru
Just eat sensibly. And don't do what I did and eat a humungous piece of Victoria Sponge cake at Gatwick and then implode half way up Ditchling Beacon. :biggrin:

Some people talk about carb. loading and the like before an event but as long as you have a balanced diet and eat sensibly (little and often) and keep properly hydrated on the day you should be fine.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Last time I did it I stopped at a pub halfway for beer and chips.

But don't take my advice: I'm pretty much a complete idiot. I'd suggest you do like ChrisKH says.

Erm....im doing the friday night ride to brighton on friday and havent even thought about diet. My advice is pasta the night before, maybe a bottle of Chianti (or two), then a good brekkie.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
it's 'only' L2B. Just eat what you normally do. I find tea and cake to be perfect fuel for an assault on the beacon. ymmv.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I did it back in 2006 on a bso with only eating pasta before hand and not riding any base miles...

Great fun but not too challenging.

If your doing it with the BHF, it will be piss, as most of the hills are a pinch point and you have to get off and push.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've been doing L2B on and off since 1984!
It's a great day out and there are zillions of cake stops. Getting fit before the day makes it more fun, but you'll be carried along by the atmosphere.

Our group have the same schedule every year. We stay in Brighton the night before and eat pasta and gallons of wine.
Hungover at about 4.30 we get-up for a cuppa and banana.
Drive to London. Star ride 6.30/7.00 ish.
Stop in Mitcham for a McBrekkie.
Stop fo a cuppa at the cricket ground at about 20 miles
Stop at Ardingly for a pre-Ditchling burger and a sunbathe
Stop to celebrate ascent of Ditchling with an Ice cream (it would be churlish not too)
Reach sea-front, have massage from Cheryl and crew* and eat chicken, drink beer and talk about next year!
Then we cycle back up the hill to Patcham.

My companions are in their 60s. We've been doing this together for some 10 years.

* more info nearer the time

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm guessing this will be a big ride for you, Luke? If so, make sure you drink and eat little and often throughout the ride. Keep your body fuelled, take it easy, and have a brill day out!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Luke and Jason

the best thing you can do is to make sure your bike is in first rate condition. Looking at bikes presented to me by aspiring London to Brighton riders these last few weeks I've been taken aback by floppy spokes, saddles way too low and, scarily, brakes that barely work.

The last is the most important. The BHF L2B is a bit of a monster, and people who are a little out of shape, or not that practised do cause crashes. Good brakes might just be the saving of you...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fab Foodie said:
Reach sea-front, have massage from Cheryl and crew* and eat chicken, drink beer and talk about next year!

Ooooh, the lovely Cheryl, with the even more lovely hands! A fine massage! Every year mate, every year.

Top Bottom