England : London London to Brighton Veteran car run 7/11/21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
If you do leave Big Ben at 7:15 you'll be ahead of us.

Are there any plans to have a brunch stop in Crawley? The place we went to last time I did it, which I think was 2018, was quite good, but who knows if it is still open, or what it might be called. The second place I mean as I recall @Gordon P and I had two stops a couple of hundred yards apart!
Will join at Big Ben.
2B7404F3-9157-4302-81EA-DC6E8793BF8D.jpeg
D87E9EF7-0269-4FFE-A913-8255D08D783D.jpeg
7A6B657B-C182-47BF-ABA5-535ECD4879C2.jpeg
00733305-A4CF-4AED-A3AD-19DC148CFC73.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
to all who came; hope you enjoyed a great day out and got home safely

Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
Nice of the organisers to put cones out for us on the A23 this time :smile:
View attachment 616834
I didn't get sent down that way. Straight in with the main traffic flow... and it was doing 25-30 mph! I actually got into the outside lane to overtake some cars :bicycle:

While holding pace in the left of the two lanes a filtering motorcyclist and their pillion both looked at me in tandem and just sort of nodded :becool:
1636313735183.png

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
@Solocle
Will join at Big Ben.
Only saw this just now! Apologies. Our 7.15 turned out to be 7.30ish...
But it looks like you made it OK
While holding pace in the left of the two lanes a filtering motorcyclist and their pillion both looked at me in tandem and just sort of nodded

Thanks @bobcolover for convening us. It was a great day

Last edited:

Lazygirl

It was good to see you all. Hope the journey home was OK.
We had an easy drive home, got back at about 9pm. We all loved the day :smile:

Lazygirl

Just wondering if anyone would care to join me and revive the bike ride with the veteran cars on 7/11/21 London to Brighton; route here, https://www.veterancarrun.com/route-guide
which a number of us have done in past years. Meet at 8 am at petrol station Streatham Common Southside opposite the [Pied] Bull pub and head south in and amongst the veteran cars. Sticking together for a sociable ride; possible fish n chips at Madiera Drive. No Ditchling Beacon but Clayton Hill as an alternative. I'll be coming back by train...
HI Bob, great day yesterday, Marie has done a ride report (as requested),

"The invite to join the Fridays riding alongside the VCR London to Brighton from Sian was an unusual one but of course always being up for a new cycling experience we were excited to give it a go. A little apprehensive on the day we met some of the Fridays at 8am on the South side of Streatham common. Introductions were made, guidance on the ‘ do’s & don'ts ‘ when cycling alongside Vintage cars that possibly have no brakes!! we’re given.
8.15 We were off………. Big Smiles on our faces as the first of the vintage cars passed us. Bob on his 1995 recumbent, Michael Gordon, Titus, Frank and others on gravel/touring and road bikes keeping an experienced eye on us ensuring we were comfortable in the London traffic. 10 miles in, the route opened up and with the promise of brunch the pace picked up going towards Crawley/Croydon. Wonderful brunch stop and a good hour of us Welsh ladies asking so many questions about touring, gravelling and cycling in general, ever the gentlemen the answers were informative and they gave us so many ideas for our next adventure. Off again…… Vintage cars filled with people in authentic period dress, Penny farthings shining in the mid-day sun, an immense amount of supporters lining the streets and busy towns, patient Sunday car drivers waiting until they were marshalled past the car rally. We had a fantastic bird’s eye view of all the happenings of the day, what more could we want ?? Fish & chips on Brighton pier !! We made it by 1.30, 62 miles and what a welcome for everyone that took part. Our knights in shining armour ‘The Fridays’ were amazing throughout the day never losing sight of us, we even had a personal guide, thank you Michael, back to Fulham. Only one more question guys’ when is the next adventure?’ Many thanks Sian, Marie, Jayne & Timea, Caerphilly women’s cycling."

AlexB

Veteran
It was good to see so many familiar faces. For various reasons I've not made any Fridays rides for over a year. We turned off at Gatwick and returned home off road and had an absolute blast. The weather was ridiculously hot!

Top Bottom