London to Harwich, then EuroVelo 15 in Reverse - Seeking Route Advice for That First Bit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My trailer with 20" wheels can cope with typical canal tow path surface but the problem is access gates and bollards. Still I get through them.
Having ridden everything from smooth tarmac to muddy quagmire (all on about 20 miles of the Grand Union), I'm no longer sure what "typical canal tow path surface" is in this country!

Apart from the odd bad bit of gravel, the thing that makes me avoid riding the Lea Valley between Clapton and Enfield are the horse steps, which are basically cobbled ramps besides locks and bridges with every third or fourth row of cobbles raised up an inch or two (and not all to the same height!), so that horses' feet don't slide back when pulling a boat. In most places, it's only part of the width, but I think there are at least two sets which seemed full width across the towpath. When my riding companion in front of me hit the first set, I wondered why he'd bunny-hopped to a stop, only to then hit the steps myself while still wondering...

mjr

I missed bit about there being a trailer. I have ridden the length of the Lee/Lea valley path up to Waltham Cross but it was a long time ago. I would have been on an ordinary road bike with 25 or 28mm slicks. I do remember it being a nice route from a surroundings point of view and the surface being a OK-ish, with some rough bits and a few obstacles but I don't remember all the details. (Although my memories of it were such that my last jaunt up that way, which was super early in the morning I just blasted straight up the main road, which was quite quiet. A1010 I think)
As someone grumbled, the trailer bit was in another thread. The Lea valley path north of Waltham Cross is better for a while: good tarmac. The A1010 in London now has route C1 along a big stretch of it, making it worth using even in the peaks, although all the ruddy lights make it less of a blast.

Being shared use it's best avoided during the day on weekends because you're constantly having to negotiate pedestrians and other cyclists which is annoying to both parties and slows you (and them) down.
I wouldn't go that far: few seem annoyed with me so it's OK if you're happy to slow down, but it is narrow so slooooow when busy. The time I attempted London to Lynn using the Lea Valley path from Stratford (I think) to Harlow, we failed to reach Lynn. Hell, we were only at Ely by sunset in summer. Later successful attempts included some Lea Valley (because it's too nice not to), but never the London end again.

I've never towed a trailer so don't have much to offer really.
I have, but not in London so I'm guessing a bit.

It's interesting info but I think that 20.7 miles is not possible in 2 hours most days unless you're a dick to walkers and slower riders, especially as it includes the walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel. It'll be 2½-3h.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wouldn't go that far: few seem annoyed with me

You're clearly more placid than me. I find pedestrians and other cylists annoying when I'm cycling on a canal path, and I find cyclists and other pedestrians annoying when I'm walking. And don't get me started on fishermen. And swans. Swans annoy me too. :smile:

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
few seem annoyed with me so it's OK if you're happy to slow down

It's interesting info but I think that 20.7 miles is not possible in 2 hours most days unless you're a dick to walkers and slower riders, especially as it includes the walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel. It'll be 2½-3h.
I've worked it out @Dogtrousers , MrJ is cycling at walking pace. :okay:

And don't get me started on fishermen. And swans. Swans annoy me too.
I'm with you on Fishermen who put their silly pole things across the the path. I don't think a swan has every upset me. one thing will say on swans, is that the old story that a flap of its wings can break a human limb is bollox. I don't know anyone who know anyone who has had a limb broken by a swan.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
TBH I would allocate more than 2 hrs to ride the 20 miles of Lea Valley path. Too much faffing and fiddling. Not to mention occasional interesting things to stop and look at.. But as a London escape route it's reliable, if a bit faffy, and potentially unsuitable for trailers.

mjr

1. Who the fark is Mr J?

2. Cycling at walking pace until there's an opportunity to pass others with sufficient width is both good sense and now in the highway code (well, it actually says "keep to a low speed" and "not overtake if it is unsafe"). Carriageways are not the only highways and there's no need for the people on bikes to become arrogant just because there are no motorists to beat them.

If you want a faster exit, either Cycleway 20 or 1 offers a much quicker road route to the wide tarmac bit of the Lea Valley route. Heck, even that CRAP (Cycleway Resembling A Pavement) along Meridian Way would be better.

OP
OP
exSlacker

exSlacker

I think this is the point. Digital route planners are all well and good for areas you know nothing about, but won't beat local knowledge. Even though I am (sort of) local I'm learning stuff from comments above.

I'm definitely a fan of using digital planners for a foundation and then refining the route based on local knowledge. For example, the digital planners want to take me out of Heathrow 3 through the tunnel. The bike tunnel is closed until 2024. Thank you to all who are replying and helping me learn the area.

T4tomo

Guru
For example, the digital planners want to take me out of Heathrow 3 through the tunnel. The bike tunnel is closed until 2024.

Free long stay car park shuttle bus will get you through the tunnel. Or go to heathrow central bus station and use the hotel hoppa or local bus, or the Tube, to get you out of the immediate madness of Heathrow into a slightly quieter area to break out the bike and trailer and start your cycle leg.

TomDW

I did Ev15 last year from Hoek Van Holland up Rhine. My friend and I are Londoners so we just got a train out to North Essex and got to Harwich in an afternoon. I'm sure you could take 2 days and make a longer more scenic route of it though, yes Lea Canal sounds a good way to get out London, going through NE London is interminably dull so best avoided.

Make sure you stop at Flatford Mill nr Manningtree on the way. That part of England, Dedham Vale is as pretty as any part of the route.

Not sure why you need a trailer. My main conclusion from the big ride was take less! You’re never far away from big city, although the route itself is mostly rural.

Last edited:
OP
OP
exSlacker

exSlacker

I did Ev15 last year from Hoek Van Holland up Rhine. My friend and I are Londoners so we just got a train out to North Essex and got to Harwich in an afternoon. I'm sure you could take 2 days and make a longer more scenic route of it though, yes Lea Canal sounds a good way to get out London, going through NE London is interminably dull so best avoided.

Make sure you stop at Flatford Mill nr Manningtree on the way. That part of England, Dedham Vale is as pretty as any part of the route.

Not sure why you need a trailer. My main conclusion from the big ride was take less! You’re never far away from big city, although the route itself is mostly rural.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear someone else chose to do the Rheinradweg "backwards"!

I'll only need the trailer if I don't fly back out of London, as it is also the bicycle's "suitcase". The bike packs down into the standard-sized hard suitcase and the hard suitcase itself converts to a trailer using the wheels in the photo, which are (I think) 12". I've put Schwalbes on those to avoid flats. I hate flats. The photo of the orange bike is someone else's Bike Friday Pocket Llama with case-trailer in action.
Nd9GcTy0b8X37YlHlPUgT811EzHCYxlsgabRs_a8w&usqp=CAU.jpg

Attachments

• 20200628_153827.JPG
    20200628_153827.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 5

grldtnr

If it's your intention to ride all the way, the most difficult bit , will be from Muswell hill, then along the Lea Valley, that means canal path, and that will be slow.
Once out of Harlow, you can use cycle routes from Harlow to Chelmsford , overnight there, then onto Colchester ,then Harwich, it's all pleasant country roads, so no real need to use 'B' roads tho ' you might need to do some.
You say you cycling partner hasn't ridden for some time, an extra day might be best, but it depends on your buddies cycle fitness.
I've ridden the Essex lanes for many years, so know my county quite well ,but haven't ridden that much recently.

Top Bottom