London to Paris for charity June 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ncfc2012

Hi

Just wondering if anyone is or is thinking about doing the London to Paris ride for charity in June this year?

I'm really up for doing it but no one I know wants to

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Tom

beermonster

Über Member
Who are you looking to do it with? Quite a few organised around that time. Will be doing it either "arch to arc" or will organise a DIY trip around middle of June.

Enw.nigel

I am thinking of doing it in June with Global Adventure Challenges. Will be signing up as soon as my wife comes round to the idea as she thinks I'm daft to be doing something like this at my age. I'll be 63 on the day it starts.

StuartG

slower but further
Another '49er - a good year for cyclists!

I will be doing it in July (again) but I do it the easy way via Newhaven - Dieppe. It is only 170 miles riding which makes for two good days seperated by a kip on the ferry. It also has the advantage of combining two of the prettiest parts of England & France. If that is not enough you can always cycle back ...

I prefer to do it alone or in a small group. Its more relaxed, you can stop at any small patisserie or cafe that takes your fancy (you can't if you are 20+). But whether you prefer an organised event or DIY - it is very doable provided you do some 100km rides in first. Age is not the problem, its getting time ...

Chrisz

Über Member
Will be signing up as soon as my wife comes round to the idea as she thinks I'm daft to be doing something like this at my age. I'll be 63 on the day it starts.

I organised one (L2P) last June for a group of workmates - one of the guys on the ride was around your age - no problems at all, he kept plodding along and didn't bother stopping when most of the others did so was always with us at the finish :smile:

Summyone

I organised one (L2P) last June for a group of workmates - one of the guys on the ride was around your age - no problems at all, he kept plodding along and didn't bother stopping when most of the others did so was always with us at the finish :smile:
I'm organising a group from work to L2P next year. How did you sort a support vehicle and return transport to London? I'm trying to find the most cost-effective method, so far minibus + trailer seems to be a problem due to tachograph requirement and the fact I can't find a hire company that have towbars fitted

Chrisz

Über Member
I'm organising a group from work to L2P next year. How did you sort a support vehicle and return transport to London? I'm trying to find the most cost-effective method, so far minibus + trailer seems to be a problem due to tachograph requirement and the fact I can't find a hire company that have towbars fitted

I used a college mini-bus/trailer combo. We got everyone on-board (bikes + kit in the trailer) and came back via the tunnel.

Summyone

I used a college mini-bus/trailer combo. We got everyone on-board (bikes + kit in the trailer) and came back via the tunnel.
Do you happen to work for the college or do colleges hire out to others? Did it have a tachograph?

Chrisz

Über Member
I work for the college and "unfortunately" the bus we used had no tacho :smile:

Where abouts are you? It may be worth approaching your FE college and seeing if they can help out - they get the benefit (???) of having their name on show doing charity work (advertising for them) and may even be able to supply a driver for you. They may want their name on your shirts as theis could be offered as a form of sponsorship.

On our L2P ride I was able to persuade the college that, since we were fundraising for a military charity and the college had recently signed a Community Covenant (the first FE college to do so) it would be a good way for them to sponsor us and fulfil some of the Covenant :smile:

Summyone

I work for the college and "unfortunately" the bus we used had no tacho :smile:

Where abouts are you? It may be worth approaching your FE college and seeing if they can help out - they get the benefit (???) of having their name on show doing charity work (advertising for them) and may even be able to supply a driver for you. They may want their name on your shirts as theis could be offered as a form of sponsorship.

On our L2P ride I was able to persuade the college that, since we were fundraising for a military charity and the college had recently signed a Community Covenant (the first FE college to do so) it would be a good way for them to sponsor us and fulfil some of the Covenant :smile:
Thanks Chris. I'm in Selby, North Yorkshire. I've tried the local FE college, but no joy there. I used to work for the local high school myself but have now left education completely. I've tried my old school but they have no tow bar.

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
I did London to Paris with global adventure in sept 2012 and cannot recommend them enough. Great support and organisation all I had to do was pedal. I have signed up to do 3 cities tour with them this coming sept.

Enw.nigel

I did London to Paris with global adventure in sept 2012 and cannot recommend them enough. Great support and organisation all I had to do was pedal. I have signed up to do 3 cities tour with them this coming sept.
Totally agree.
Did the L2P in June and Global Adventure organised everything perfectly. Nothing was too much trouble from organising parking at the hotel the night before the start to getting us back to the hotel when the event had finished.

Top Bottom